how often do you offer the potty? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 09-15-2011, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

my LO is 3 months old, and I've just begun EC with her. I actually tried when she was around 2-3 weeks when I noticed she would pee during diaper change, but her head was very wobbly and she would scream every time I held her in potty position... that was so stressful I gave up. 

Now she has more head control and she actually likes to sit, it's much easier to position her. Unfortunately, I am no longer able to tell when she's going to pee. Poops are easier-- she fusses during nursing, but pees seems to be random, I can't see any signals. I We use cloth diaper without cover, so I change her about 12-15 times a day, usually she doesn't sit in a wet/soiled diaper longer than a few minutes. But still I can't see any pattern to the pees, and I hardly catch her in the act of doing so, so not sure how to do cuing.

The potty position is also new for her... when I hold her over the basin for too long, she fusses.

Now I think maybe I should offer the potty more often? And how long do you hold your LO over the potty? 

Any advice?

single mama to dd (June 2011)
#2 due December 2014!
#2 of 27 Old 09-15-2011, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

joke?

Children biologically have little to NO control until they are 2 and a half years old

#3 of 27 Old 09-16-2011, 10:17 AM

At that age they do pee a lot!

Couple things to try:

- Do you wear her?  I found that pee signals were far more obvious when wearing.

- Try some diaper free time, just let her hang out lying on a prefold (so much easier before they get mobile).  This gives you a chance to observe her and also a chance to cue her.  This will help with figuring out signals (at that age my DS had a subtle squirm before he peed) and patterns.

I also found that it was useful to have a clock near the potty to make sure I didn't hold him on it too long.  He pooped a lot (several times a day) so we would usually do a max of 5 minutes (more if he was still pooping) but for pees I would probably do 2-3 minutes.  If he fussed I would take him off.  At that age he wasn't too interested in toys on the potty (plus I needed my hands free to hold him) so I mostly sang silly songs to him to entertain him on the potty.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#4 of 27 Old 09-16-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirlie View Post

joke?

Children biologically have little to NO control until they are 2 and a half years old

Not a joke.  Not sure why you are hanging out in the EC (elimination communication) forum if you know nothing about it.  At 1 year old my son can hold pee for up to 4 hours and let us know before he has to go.  This is the method used by traditional cultures around the globe, whose kids are potty trained far earlier than in the US, where parents train their kids to use diapers and lose the awareness of their bodily functions that they were born with.  Do some reading up before knocking it.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#5 of 27 Old 09-16-2011, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirlie View Post

joke?

THAT is BALONEY!

Anyway, to Azhie- I used to just space out all the time so I used to set the timer on my watch. First I would have her naked on the floor on matts and get an awareness of how long between peeing. It was usually (when that young) every 20 minutes. It was good this way too because I could still use intuition but have it backed up with a timer. BTW my DD is 21/2 and I am SOOOOO happy we stuck with ECing!!

Oh, also, this will help with cuing because she will be lying there naked and you can cue when you see pee coming out. 

I personally do not remember time on the potty as being a question. I think that I just waited a very short time. It will happen faster (!) once baby is responding to your cuing her.

#6 of 27 Old 09-16-2011, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

I don't always wear her (dh isn't convinced it's good for her...), but I carry her a lot, and she squirms. I always thought it is because she's uncomfortable and want to face out. Hmm, maybe it's because she wants to pee. 

I will try giving her some diaper-free time and see how it goes. She always manages to pee whenever I step out for a few minutes!! 

Now I can catch almost all poops, but short of sitting over a basin for half an hour, I can't imagine how to catch the pees. She usually pees sometime within the hour of pooping. I guess I am not that patient to just wait... 

Quote:
Originally Posted by somegirl99 View Post

Couple things to try:

- Do you wear her?  I found that pee signals were far more obvious when wearing.

- Try some diaper free time, just let her hang out lying on a prefold (so much easier before they get mobile).  This gives you a chance to observe her and also a chance to cue her.  This will help with figuring out signals (at that age my DS had a subtle squirm before he peed) and patterns.

I also found that it was useful to have a clock near the potty to make sure I didn't hold him on it too long.  He pooped a lot (several times a day) so we would usually do a max of 5 minutes (more if he was still pooping) but for pees I would probably do 2-3 minutes.  If he fussed I would take him off.  At that age he wasn't too interested in toys on the potty (plus I needed my hands free to hold him) so I mostly sang silly songs to him to entertain him on the potty.

#2 due December 2014!
#7 of 27 Old 09-16-2011, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, that's great and so encouraging! 

I do wonder sometimes whether a baby as young as some months old can really hold their pee and poop? 

Quote:

At 1 year old my son can hold pee for up to 4 hours and let us know before he has to go.  This is the method used by traditional cultures around the globe, whose kids are potty trained far earlier than in the US, where parents train their kids to use diapers and lose the awareness of their bodily functions that they were born with.  

#2 due December 2014!
#8 of 27 Old 09-16-2011, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Every 20 minutes!! Actually, now that you mention it, that does make sense. I haven't been diligent enough to observe her that oftne. I get the sense I always miss her actual peeing by a minute or two. The timer idea is a good idea... 

How much time do you spend EC-ing? When I first started a few days ago, I felt like it was a lot of effort. But I get encouraged when we do catch some thing. I also figured out a more comfortable way to position my dd so she doesn't fuss. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfillmore View Post

Anyway, to Azhie- I used to just space out all the time so I used to set the timer on my watch. First I would have her naked on the floor on matts and get an awareness of how long between peeing. It was usually (when that young) every 20 minutes. It was good this way too because I could still use intuition but have it backed up with a timer. BTW my DD is 21/2 and I am SOOOOO happy we stuck with ECing!!

Oh, also, this will help with cuing because she will be lying there naked and you can cue when you see pee coming out. 

I personally do not remember time on the potty as being a question. I think that I just waited a very short time. It will happen faster (!) once baby is responding to your cuing her.

#2 due December 2014!
#9 of 27 Old 09-17-2011, 05:03 AM

very much second diaper free time. When I committed to that more I started catching a lot more pees. 

Also thought I would mention that sometimes it is worth giving a pee opportunity even if you notice she is wet - sometimes, they stop peeing once they feel wet, and do several small pees, instead of a big one on the pot! 

Also, how often you offer may change based on tie of day and nursing pattern. My LO pees A LOT in the morning but they are more spaced out during the afternoon. 

isabchi likes this.
#10 of 27 Old 09-17-2011, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

I caught two little pees yesterday! But then the big pees came later, and I still missed 10 pees, lol. I pottyed her every hour or so yesterday but nothing happened most of the time. 

For cuing-- do you cue WHILE baby is eliminating, or while on the potty? Do you wait for baby to go, or cue until baby goes? 

#2 due December 2014!
#11 of 27 Old 09-17-2011, 09:49 PM

2 catches is great!

What I would do myself is put baby on the potty and cue briefly, then wait, and then as baby goes, cue again.

#12 of 27 Old 09-18-2011, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter

Sadly, I can no longer just lie her on top of a prefold-- she rolls around too much! I put her on a mat. 

The timer idea is working so far. I've been offering the potty every half an hour or so, and she peed almost every single time. Albeit only small pees, but still!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by somegirl99 View Post

Couple things to try:

#2 due December 2014!
#13 of 27 Old 09-18-2011, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

you asked about cuing. The idea behind cuing is that if you cue WHILE they are pee THEN they will associate it with going. I think it is like Pavlov's dogs, ha ha. That is the beneift of being naked you can SEE even if you are not "catching" it, so you can cue. I think you want to wait to cue before she pees until she learns to associate the signal.

#14 of 27 Old 09-19-2011, 09:35 AM

Just going to pipe in about the "little to NO control of their bladder" nonsense.

When my DS was 4 months old, he would start to pee on the floor and I would squeal "nooooOO!! " He would stop peeing - startled but smiling, we would rush to the toilet, I would cue, and he would pee, big grin, big sigh.

Our misses are mostly half misses : )

isabchi likes this.

covert crunchy wife to guitar.gif & mama to DSbabyf.gif02/11. Dreaming of travelling the earth.gif as soon as we catch up on some sleeping.gif

#15 of 27 Old 09-19-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepfeet View Post

Just going to pipe in about the "little to NO control of their bladder" nonsense.

When my DS was 4 months old, he would start to pee on the floor and I would squeal "nooooOO!! " He would stop peeing - startled but smiling, we would rush to the toilet, I would cue, and he would pee, big grin, big sigh.

Our misses are mostly half misses : )

Absolutly!...All babies in their early day cues before they going to eliminate. I been seen in many non EC babies that uses diapers. After a while in diapers with non response of their parents, babies stopped cues. Communications in two ways directions. If nobody answer after many, many calls, ... of course, they have to stop making calls. We forget that babies can't talk, but they can communicate with body languages, sounds, etc.

Deepfeet likes this.

Mama of and , partners.gif with  Love
#16 of 27 Old 09-20-2011, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

I think my dd associates being butt-naked and over the potty with eliminating. Not so much my verbal cues... 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfillmore View Post

you asked about cuing. The idea behind cuing is that if you cue WHILE they are pee THEN they will associate it with going. I think it is like Pavlov's dogs, ha ha. That is the beneift of being naked you can SEE even if you are not "catching" it, so you can cue. I think you want to wait to cue before she pees until she learns to associate the signal.

#2 due December 2014!
#17 of 27 Old 09-20-2011, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

It's true! When my baby is nursing and needs to go, she'll stop, look at me, and fuss a little. If I ignore her and just put her back on the breast, which is what I've always done, she'll just poop right there. But since starting EC, so far every time she stops nursing and looks at me, it's because she has to pee or poop, and we've caught them all. I'm amazed at how consistent she is and how I went 3 months without picking her signals up. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabchi View Post

Absolutly!...All babies in their early day cues before they going to eliminate. I been seen in many non EC babies that uses diapers. After a while in diapers with non response of their parents, babies stopped cues. Communications in two ways directions. If nobody answer after many, many calls, ... of course, they have to stop making calls. We forget that babies can't talk, but they can communicate with body languages, sounds, etc.

#2 due December 2014!
#18 of 27 Old 09-29-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azhie View Post

Wow, that's great and so encouraging! 

I do wonder sometimes whether a baby as young as some months old can really hold their pee and poop?  

My son can go 3-4 hours at night at the age of just 2 months.  He's been doing this quite regularly.  When he wakes to nurse, I check him and so often he is dry.  We've gone several nights in his short time of ECing without changing a diaper.  Now I just wish he could do that during the day lol.  I know he is way too young and like the rest he pees about every 20-30 min.

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

#19 of 27 Old 09-29-2011, 02:26 PM

Pees are harder to catch but watch closely and you will notice that she will get quiet before peeing and when done goes back to her regular activity. Also they pee on schedule...mine goes about every 2 hours. I can't say how much I love EC method.

#20 of 27 Old 09-29-2011, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

I wish mine would pee on schedule! She pees every 30 minutes or so during the daytime. At night, she only pees once or twice at most as well. And she doesn't pee while asleep-- it's during periods of waking.

I'm pretty sure she could hold her pees and poops, at least for a few minutes, because once she starts fussing, we always make it to the basin, where she eliminates promptly. It's pretty amazing-- I was skeptical when I started, but I love it now. 

Many thanks to everyone's comments on here! :)

#2 due December 2014!
#21 of 27 Old 10-03-2011, 10:50 AM

I just started EC with daugter who is not quiet three months yet. She pees first thing when she wakes up - naps or night sleep. I try to take her to the poty every thirty minutes.

I have had succes with her peeing into the potty but she has not pooped yet. One time when she was pooping, I took her to the potty and she stopped and did not go till later. She has not connected the dot that she can also poop in the potty.

Also she does not have a schedule for the pooop time. Any suggesitions on how to make her poop on the potty?

#22 of 27 Old 10-03-2011, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

For me, my dd always poops during nursing. She pops of the breast and looks at me-- that's her signal that she needs to poop. This signal has actually been very consistent, and she still poops 5-6 times a day all on the potty now. 

I also noticed that she poops when waking up in the morning so began to offer the potty at that time as well. 

Unfortunately, if she poops outside of these times, I can't catch them. Sometimes when she fusses it means she needs to eliminate, but nowadays fussing could be anything, lol. 

Good luck!!! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by soseemehere View Post

I just started EC with daugter who is not quiet three months yet. She pees first thing when she wakes up - naps or night sleep. I try to take her to the poty every thirty minutes.

I have had succes with her peeing into the potty but she has not pooped yet. One time when she was pooping, I took her to the potty and she stopped and did not go till later. She has not connected the dot that she can also poop in the potty.

Also she does not have a schedule for the pooop time. Any suggesitions on how to make her poop on the potty?

#2 due December 2014!
#23 of 27 Old 10-05-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soseemehere View Post

I would try to observe diaper-free for several hours or a whole day if you can swing it. Write down how often she pees or poos after 1. feeding and 2. waking.

This will teach you her natural rhythms so you aren't just taking her by the clock. Instead, switch to your baby's natural timing. Make sense?

She likely has a consistent pee/poo schedule based on waking and feeding that you may not have noticed yet.

Also, while diaper-free, note what signals she gives before she goes.

A baby who is ECed solely on by-the-clock timing will resist this in later months....just a heads up! And, I think these 2 methods will help you get more poo in the pot without your baby "holding it" because she's being taken to the pot so often...... <3

Andrea Olson, DS 2.5 yrs, DD due 10/9/13

Author | EC Simplified: Infant Potty Training Made Easy

Owner | GoDiaperFree.com

[I teach parents of 0-20 month old babies how to stop diapering
full-time and how to avoid...

#24 of 27 Old 10-05-2011, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Is it possible that a baby doesn't signal before she eliminates?

Sometimes, when I offer my baby the potty she doesn't go. Then I put her on my lap whilst I'm typing or doing something else, and then without warning, she just pees or poops. 

#2 due December 2014!
#25 of 27 Old 10-07-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndreaOlson View Post

A baby who is ECed solely on by-the-clock timing will resist this in later months....just a heads up! And, I think these 2 methods will help you get more poo in the pot without your baby "holding it" because she's being taken to the pot so often...... <3

We're finding this out the hard way right now!  We were 98% for poops and maybe 50% for pees since about 6 months on - he doesn't cue much at all, so we did it based on timing, and now at 14 months we're suddenly at 25% for poops and still 50% for pees.  Starting a new thread to discuss the older ones, but just wanted to tack on our experience here - watch for cues before they get too headstrong!  LOL

#26 of 27 Old 10-08-2011, 11:13 AM

Thanks for sharing Thursday2!!! Although I feel for ya in your situation, it's good to know what happened for you so we can help other moms learn signals and hone their intuition at earlier ages...before they get too headstrong...love that! :)

Andrea Olson, DS 2.5 yrs, DD due 10/9/13

Author | EC Simplified: Infant Potty Training Made Easy

Owner | GoDiaperFree.com

[I teach parents of 0-20 month old babies how to stop diapering
full-time and how to avoid...

#27 of 27 Old 10-10-2011, 09:04 PM

I try every 20-30 minutes, in the absence of signals, or at a fuss sign. I'll hold DS over the toilet, and if he doesn't have to go, boy will he let me know right away. If he does need to go, he'll usually allow his bum to sink lower, and begin pushing. Occassionally, even when he refuses, he does need to go. He also will stop nursing and look at me if he needs to go while nursing. I also second the mama who said that her LO will feel the wetness, and stop before letting all of the pee out. Sometimes, even with a little bit of a wet diaper, there is more pee to release. I almost always offer, even when I find a wet diaper.

Keep at it, eventually it will all become clear! The truly diaper free time definitely heightens your senses, too.

Amanda, DW to Drew, mom to Ella, 7, Gardner, 2, homesteading on the edge of the continent on the Lost Coast.
mdcblog5.gif California Homesteading, http://eastmillcreek.blogspot.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page