Substitutions for potty bowl?? How to bblp with newborn? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-23-2011, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wondering if anyone has used anything that works similar to or like the potty bowl for a newborn? I'm trying to avoid ordering one (i'm a minimalist!) and thinking of using a round tupperware or other kind of bowl. I do have a bblp but like to potty the newborn on my lap for more skin to skin contact....

When you do use a bblp for newborn, do you just hold them around the waist? Are you positioned in front or behind?

Thanks! This is my 4th baby and 3rd to EC...wouldn't you know I got rid of 2 potty bowls thinking I wasn't going to have more babies and here I am needing another one...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2011, 04:54 PM

We used a round plastic bowl for a while, sorta tall and about 6 inch diameter. Her butt would get stuck in it, but it worked fine when she was smaller. It had enough of a lip that the tiny contents wouldn't spill if knocked.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:41 PM

I used an old rectangular 'wipes' box. It worked perfectly for us. I would sit on the ground with my legs tucked under my butt and the box between my legs. I would have my little boy with his back against my belly and my hands under his thighs so I could hold him sweetly and direct his pee. I set up in front of a full length mirror so we could see each other and to help manage getting everything in the box!

EC so easy with ecaPants!! ~the flip down, drop front, little learning pants

Check out FB for updates, 'seconds' sales, deal announcements, etc smile.gif

Old 09-27-2011, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

The wipes box sounds perfect! I'm going to try that. I have a baby boy, so the oblong shape should be good for catching and it's nice to use something already around the house. Thanks!

Old 09-27-2011, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, and I like the mirror idea too! It's been 3 1/2 years since I have done EC and forget how babies like to have something to look at...

Old 09-27-2011, 04:47 PM

When DS was little I just used to cue him into a pre-fold (I never mastered the potty bowl, partly because he usually peed while nursing.  Could also have been that I was just using a tupperware container...)

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

User Tag List