My son's love-hate relationship with his potty? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-06-2011, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sometimes my son(6 months) wakes up grumpy, and he'll cry hardcore if I take him to his potty on these occasions, but is fine going to the potty if I nurse him for a few minutes. Today I tried something new; both of the times he woke up like that I took him outside to potty him and whatyaknow, he did it without a fuss! I guess I'm just confused. Has anyone else experienced your infant suddenly not wanting to use it at particular times? He never fusses being pottied over the sink in the bathroom, the tub, or being pottied outside. But on certain occasions he just has a huge issue with his potty.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2011, 11:10 AM

At that age (and probably up to over a year) we had to keep switching locations CONSTANTLY.  Outside was the only one that he was always happy with.  We have two bathrooms and a utility sink, so we did all those, plus various potties, etc. Off the railing of the porch was always a big winner too, since it was outside to begin with, and made such an impressive arc! 

We stopped nightime ECing for almost 10 mos because I coudln't figure out how to keep him happy doing it, and the bedroom is on the second floor so it never even occurred to me to try outside at night.  We started up again when he got a diaper rash from being wet at night, so we tried nursing while pottying into a quart sized yogurt container.   Sounds like that might work for your DS too if it gets inconvenient to go outside since he seems to be ok with it after nursing. 

Old 10-28-2011, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah..that's what I found out since I posted this. He uses his potty, the toilet and the tub in the bathroom. He LOVES outside; but this is Michigan and it's been downright chilly outside. When he fusses being held over the toilet, I squat him in the tub and he's fine. When he fusses being held in his potty, I carry him to the toilet and he's fine. It never seems to be the same thing.

I tried ECing at night twice. But he screamed bloody murder because I was picking him up from a half-asleep state and disturbing his nursing. I've actually debated on using a small container at night-time; but I haven't tried it yet. You just keep him laid down and hold the yogurt container right up against him right?

Old 10-30-2011, 08:36 PM

There is probably more than one way to go about it - you never know til you've tried!  I sit left leg cross legged, right extended, with my back against the wall (with a headlamp sitting on the bed for aiming), and pull him onto my lap with his legs off my right side. I always give him the left side to nurse on, probably because managing the pee jar is easier with my right hand. When he latches on, I open his jammies ( overlapping split pants are easiest, but we have done it in trainers and ordinary pants too), position the jar making sure its tipped so the pee won't run out, and voila! The jar winds up nearly horizontal sometimes, so some concentration is necessary to keep it from spilling.   I have a potty next to the bed that I dump the jar into so that its ready to go the next time.  We usually potty twice each night, during every other nursing. 

He loved this the first few weeks we did it, then was on-and off for a month or so, and finally just got used to it I think.  I feel like he likes being able to relieve his bladder without getting wet, as long as he doesn't have to wake up too much to get there, and this method works well enough for that.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:56 PM

Ds does not like the potty either.  He seems more comfortable when I hold him over the toilet and/or we sit together.  Even tho at 9 months he can sit well and could sit on the potty if he wanted.

User Tag List