Where to buy small training/regular underwear?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-22-2011, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DD is almost 14 months and we've been doing EC since about 8-months but she just learned to sign potty about a week or two ago.  She has quickly gotten very good about sigining when she's wanted to go potty and in the past three days she has gone to the bathroom on the potty every single time (except overnight).  I'm thinking it's probably time to swich to regular underwear (and/or training underwear when we're out) but I'm not sure where to find them...DD is pretty small...only 19-20 lbs.  I want to do cloth, not pull-ups because I feel like pulls-ups will feel too much like a regular diaper to her.  I know Hannah Anderson sells them but they're a little pricey.  Where do you all get small training underwear and regular underwear?

#2 of 10 Old 10-22-2011, 10:28 PM

You can get them just about anywhere you find trainers.  We had some really good ones from Sears, but I'm not sure if they make them as thick now as they used to.  I'd check there.

They don't actually get a lot bigger when they are 2t or so, because they tend to get longer and leaner.  My DS could wear the same undies from 1yr-2.5yr.  He got tons bigger, but mostly just stretched out.

Tjej

#3 of 10 Old 10-23-2011, 01:09 PM

My favourite training underwear are Little Beetles and Imse Vimse. They're not cheap, unfortunately, but they work very well. The LBs aren't waterproof at all, so I pair them with a cover when I can't be vigilant; the IVs have a hidden PUL layer so they're okay for everything but a car seat.

I want to get some Gerber-style training pants for at home because they're MUCH cheaper!

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#4 of 10 Old 10-24-2011, 11:16 AM

That's awesome, sounds like she's really "getting" it!

I found size 1-2T underwear at H&M and they were very inexpensive.  They were a bit baggy on DS when he was 20lbs but now at about 23lbs they fit fine.  The toddler girls undies may also fit smaller. 

Do you sew at all?  I put DS in trainers starting at 7 mos and ordered a pattern from Tinkle Time Trainers at http://www.ladderhilldesign.com and the fabrics at http://kidsinthegarden.com/shop/.  They were VERY easy to sew (I am a total beginner and hadn't sewn anything in about 15 years when I did the trainers) and you can make them waterproof with an outer layer of PUL or non-waterproof just using cotton or flannel.  Or you can buy them on hyena cart (but they were pricey!).  (For your DD you'll want to make the size mediums but you get the pattern for all the sizes when you order the pattern online).

If you're interested i making them you can PM me and I can tell you what fabrics I used, how many layers of liner, etc.  They really are simple (and kind of fun!) to make!

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#5 of 10 Old 10-24-2011, 04:14 PM

if you are looking for underwear (not trainers) which sounds like that would be perfect if you lo is having very few misses then I would recommend the tiny undies from the ec store. My dd went into undies at 7 months and these worked great until she moved into 2T's. They are on the priceyer side so we also went to all the thrift shops and picked up the little bloomer things that go with dresses. they are usually $1 or less as they are no longer matched with anything. the 3M size worked really well as they are made to go over disposable diapers. At night I used the sassycloth pull up trainers and they worked great until she didn't need them at night anymore (around 14months).

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#6 of 10 Old 10-27-2011, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the responses!  I'll definitely check Sears and H&M.  I always forget about both of those stores for kids clothes, especially H&M, and I know they have some good deals.  I'm also going to take a look at the Little Beetles and Imse Vimse.  I ended up getting a coupon for Hannah Anderson so I did get a three pack to start and so far they're great but 3 pairs isn't enough unless I want to do laundry every other day (and we don't have our own washer/dryer).  Unfortunately, I cannot sew at all. :(  I really wish I could because I feel like there are so many things I could make instead of buy but I wouldn't even know where to begin.  I should definitely go pull out some of the 3M bloomers from when she was smaller too - great idea!  She probably has one miss a day or less, so the bloomers would be fine for around the house.  I just need the training pants for when we're out.  Thanks!!

#7 of 10 Old 10-28-2011, 10:01 AM

EC specialty stores will definitely have the sizes you want, along with all of the most current styles of trainers and baby underwear. Check out EC Wear, EC Store, Continuum Family, etc. (Sometimes it is hard to find small enough underwear at regular stores.) If you want to spend less check out sites like diaperswappers where you can buy gently used trainers; they even have an EC section. Also, ECSwap yahoo group sometimes has some great deals. 

EC so easy with ecaPants!! ~the flip down, drop front, little learning pants

Check out FB for updates, 'seconds' sales, deal announcements, etc smile.gif

#8 of 10 Old 10-28-2011, 10:51 AM

gap has xx-small and x-small unders. If you get them on sale, they aren't too pricey! They wash and wear well too!

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#9 of 10 Old 11-04-2011, 04:08 PM

I found some at the discount store near us.  They were meant to be diaper covers but work great as undies.  You can also buy smallest size undies available and take them in a bit at the waist and/or legs, which doesn't really invovle much sewing skill at all.  Most of the 1-2 Y size I've seen (such as H and M) are actually meant to go over the diaper so a bit loose fitting.  So the fit could actually be better if you buy the 2-3 Y size meant to be worn as undies.  If that makes any sense.

#10 of 10 Old 11-04-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherr30 View Post

I found some at the discount store near us.  They were meant to be diaper covers but work great as undies.  You can also buy smallest size undies available and take them in a bit at the waist and/or legs, which doesn't really invovle much sewing skill at all.  Most of the 1-2 Y size I've seen (such as H and M) are actually meant to go over the diaper so a bit loose fitting.  So the fit could actually be better if you buy the 2-3 Y size meant to be worn as undies.  If that makes any sense.

The H & M ones I bought in a size 1-2Y were meant as undies, not as a diaper cover or to go over the diaper.  So it probably depends on the particular package and brand.

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page