Bumbo and Potty - do they get them confused? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-26-2011, 03:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So DD is 6 months and we have been ECing since 2 weeks. All going well. She is very small so I still hold her over potty, sink, toilet.....and cue with a "ssss" sound. Very often the cueing isn't necessary and I think that just "assuming the position" is enough. No I've just started to have her bum touching the potty while I support her and obviously as she gets older/bigger, she will sit on the potty. I've had an offer of a bumbo seat from  friend and thought that would be nice to have - you know, another option for her for when I'm cooking or something. But then it occurred to me that the bumbo seat must feel very much like a potty and I wondered if she would confuse the two. Like when I sit her on the bumbo she might think she is on the potty? (though babies are pretty smart...) Anybody have any experience with this? The obvious thing is just to try it and see, but I'd thought I'd check with people since getting the bumbo involves a bit of a long drive and if anybody says they had a problem I might not bother....

thanks!

#2 of 10 Old 10-26-2011, 02:28 PM

My DS is 6 months and we just started. I mostly use the Bumbo to feed him and we haven't had any misses in the Bumbo. He doesn't seem to confuse it with the potty and if you have an offer for a free one it's definitely worth a try! I love the Bumbo. 

#3 of 10 Old 10-26-2011, 02:29 PM

My DS is 6 months and we just started. I mostly use the Bumbo to feed him and we haven't had any misses in the Bumbo. He doesn't seem to confuse it with the potty and if you have an offer for a free one it's definitely worth a try! I love the Bumbo. 

#4 of 10 Old 10-26-2011, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

thanks - i'll try it. babies are pretty smart...

#5 of 10 Old 11-03-2011, 01:23 PM

I'll be really curious to see what you observe if you do get the bumbo. I have part-time EC'd our 8-mo since she was 3 wks, and about a month ago she started making the potty sign to me. Of course, I was thrilled! but now find that just because she signs it to me doesn't always mean peeing or pooping is imminent. We do get this behavior while she's in the the bumbo, for sure, but it is not exclusive to the bumbo. And there are times when she signs that she does go, plus other times when she hasn't done the ASL sign (at least that I've seen) but then I find that she has peed a little or pooped (or I catch her making her "I'm pooping" face and take her to the potty).

So, maybe my answer just shows that at least for my kid right now, the bumbo doesn't seem to have any exclusive ability to trigger her going at the wrong times. :-)

Jen

#6 of 10 Old 11-04-2011, 03:46 PM

My 1 yr old DD started pooping on the bumbo after I introduced her to the potty.  Well, actually she only did it a couple of times... but she pooped so forcefully and with her legs bent in such a way that the diaper leaked quite badly.  No idea if it was the "do-it-yourself" toddler attitude--ie pretending the Bumbo was a potty--or just the squatting position which made her go. I put away the Bumbo since she could sit on her own by then anyway. 

I would have no qualms in putting your Dd in a Bumbo.  12 months old is a different age than a pre-sitting age baby, and since you are holding your baby and cuing her on the potty but not on the Bumbo I don't think it's likely that she would confuse the two.  I put my DS on it when he was pre-sitting age and we were ECing and I didn't notice more misses than usual. 

#7 of 10 Old 11-19-2011, 08:14 AM

hah! I totally worry about this when we go to other people's houses, my 2yo insists that the bumbo is a potty, and she takes herself to potty sometimes without telling us... so far its never happened in someone else's bumbo thank goodness! We don't have a bumbo at home though, I am sure if we did, she would have realized its something different than a potty...

dissertating mom to three

#8 of 10 Old 11-20-2011, 07:51 AM

My dd1 only sat in the bumbo once (at about 6 months) and pooped!!! She hadn't had a poop miss in a while so I never sat her in one again.

Because of that I bought a bumbo for dd2 (she is only 5 wks now) but I plan on cutting a hole in it and placing a pie pan under it and then we will have a potty (potty propping:)) that she can sit up on by herself and I won't have to hold her over it all the time.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#9 of 10 Old 11-27-2011, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Just a follow up:

We have the bumbo and I don't think she gets confused. We eat breakfast in front of the fire (very cozy) and she sits in her bumbo....She loves her food, so at this point she thinks she is going to have a meal when she sits in it. Not to say we haven't had misses in the bumbo but I think those are more accidental and not potty confusion.

#10 of 10 Old 11-27-2011, 05:35 PM

awwww lol no opinion or experience, but your post made me laugh, i never thought about it, but it's true! they could get confused ROTFLMAO.gif

A Toronto born young mama blowkiss.giffreshly moved for a new adventure in ALBERTA! with Superdaddy superhero.gifand her intact and vax free, breastfed and babyworn Aug09 babenono02.gif attending college for early childhood educationwhale.gif   and being blessed with #2 just in time for Valentines Dayheartbeat.gif pos.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page