Is it too late to start EC with a 1 year old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-08-2011, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Before having DS I was curious about EC.  In the early days I had problems breastfeeding, so this took all my mental energy.  Then DS hit his 4 month sleep regression which he/we have never really recovered from (he still wakes 6-7 times a night) so sleep deprivation has sapped my energy for the rest of the time.  Now before I know I know it, DS is 12 months and I am wondering if it's too late to start/try EC?  I'm a SAHM.

I did read "The Diaper Free Baby" by Christine Gross-Loh but found it all a little overwhelming.

I appreciate any thoughts or advice on if it's possible to start now, and if so, how to get started.

Thanks!

40 y/o married Mama, 3 y/o DS, Angel Baby lost in Sep 2013, Angel Baby lost March 2014.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2011, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The best way to get started, IMO, is to offer first thing in the morning and after naps.  You are relatively likely to be successful.

You could read other potty training books as well, if you are open to other perspectives.  I think diaper free before three would have stuff about a 1yo that could be handy.  I am not 100% on the title, but if it wasn't that one, it was something similar.  IIRC it was a bit preachy, but had ideas.

1yo isn't too late, but it is a different thing that starting with a newborn.  There are a lot of "windows of opportunity" and you can very well hit one and find a groove.

Tjej

Old 11-16-2011, 06:50 PM

With older DD, i started at 1  and had great success.  She graduated at 18 mos though she wore a diaper overnight until around 3.  We just started offering in the am, watching her signs, and gradually offering more and more.  She was pretty regular and would typically poop right after lunch and sometimes during her nap.  In the interest of avoiding a poop diaper and protecting the afternoon nap, we would go to herculean efforts to keep her entertained on the potty after lunch.  Once she started pooping on the potty, it became a habit pretty quickly.  Pees were more gradual.  I did cue her with the "psss" sound.  I didn't think it was doing anything, but then one day around 16 months she looked at me and said pssss back.  I took her on an airplane at 18 months and while I had her in a diaper just in case, she stayed dry and cued for the potty when she needed it.  I think it may depend on temperment, but it is definitely possible and it is SO nice to put it behind you before the defiant stage starts closer to 2.   GL!

Old 11-19-2011, 09:10 AM

I started with my first at 15m, knowing pretty much nothing at all about EC. I was following his lead (he was complaining about diapers, especially poop). We were fairly quickly able to catch most poops in the potty (he was pretty predictable and also really hated pooping in his diaper ayway) and then we started coverless and naked-bum time in the mornings. For a long time he would pee right into underwear, diapers, etc, but would use the potty if his bum was naked. But he was out of dipes in the daytime by 21m and very independent about pottying shortly after turning 2 (could take himself, remove his own pants, etc).

totally agree with the first thing upon awakening... you might then add before nap and bed, then can start either some period of the day diaper free, or coverless dipaer, or add in the routine of trying the potty before and after transitions (before getting leaving the house, when first arriving home or wherever you are going...)

dissertating mom to three

User Tag List