WOW. Peeing in the "same spot" outside will make the ground smell bad? Really?! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-10-2011, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My fiance was just told by his parents to tell me to stop peeing our son outside "in the same spot"(but really stop peeing him outside period, and I don't pee him in the same spot every time) because it will make the ground smell bad. Good grief that's the silliest bull I've ever heard!

#2 of 10 Old 11-10-2011, 12:31 PM

Honestly, peeing in the same spot does make it smell bad, especially if you don't have a good rain everyday. If that spot is anywhere near where people have to/want to go ie: just to the side of the door, the patio, etc. it can be very unpleasant. My boys had a habit of peeing right off the outside steps... yuck! Just try to take him to the periphery of the yard, but in a spot where it can get rain washed and smell shouldn't be  problem. Now if they flat out just don't want him to pee outside, that's a different story....

rainbow1284.gifJess, mama to five boys joy.gif

#3 of 10 Old 11-10-2011, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

But the thing is I don't. I'll do it a couple times in the same spot for a day, depending on how cold it is out, but not every single time I take him out there. I think their issue is that it's outside at all, and they're using the "same spot" as an excuse for them being uncomfortable I'm doing it outside period. I wasn't even aware they could see it. It must be I'm in the same spot anytime they've seen me. I vary where he does it; the bushes on the right, the bushes on the left, by the tree out in the center of the yard, etc etc.. That "same spot" is on a hill, and since it's been SO rainy(and today snowy) anything that's there gets washed away.

#4 of 10 Old 11-10-2011, 01:54 PM

Yeah, it does sound like they just don't want him to pee outside (grandparents get touchy about the funniest things,lol) . Sorry you have to deal with the attitude. Maybe there is a specific reason they don't want him to (ie: the neighbors can see) which you can work around?

#5 of 10 Old 11-11-2011, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Shouldn't be because of the neighbors. We're out in the boonies! They could be concerned our closest neighbor might see, though..since Autumn has arrived, there's a much clearer view of his property than there is during the warmer months when the trees are full.

I dunno; I think it's mainly grandma's issue. Grandpa has seen me take Gavin outside and inside to wipe him a dozen times without seeming to have an issue. I think what happened is grandma asked him who was going outside, and he probably said I took Gavin out to pee, and she's the one with the issue. And just like our side of the family, the men just nod and agree with their wife so

She has a lot of issues with what we do. Which is why whenever I took him outside to pee I tried to make sure I was in an area they couldn't see, because I just KNEW there'd be an issue with it. Apparently I failed, *sigh*.

#6 of 10 Old 11-29-2011, 01:14 PM

This is kind of out there, but thought I'd share.  We had our house remodeled one summer.  No one was staying at the house since the workers were here all day.  (If I was here I would have stopped this before it started!)   We were having new toilets installed but they couldn't be put in until the tile was done, so there wasn't anywhere for the worker's to pee, except outside.  Every single one of them must have peed right outside the door, in the same spot, all those freakin days.  Because for almost 4 years, every time it rained, the urine smell would seep out and it would sitnk right outside our back door.  Totally disgusting!!!  I know construction worker guy pee in the middle of summer is not the same as sweet newborn pee, but still...  Peeing in one spot CAN make it smell bad.  Blech...

Leah coolshine.gif adoptionheart-1.gif homebirth.jpg

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

#7 of 10 Old 12-13-2011, 01:49 PM

"I know construction worker guy pee in the middle of summer is not the same as sweet newborn pee"

Can you tell me how URINE from one type of person is any different than URINE from anyone else? Inquiring minds would love to know!

#8 of 10 Old 12-13-2011, 02:11 PM

Is there some reason your little one can't or won't pee in the toilet? Where does everybody else go? I don't mean to sound ignorant or judgemental, but why do you take him outside to pee? Our kids do it at home (on a farm in the woods), but wouldn't expect to go outside at someone else's home unless that was the usual practice there.

zinemama likes this.
#9 of 10 Old 12-13-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Hartsay View Post

"I know construction worker guy pee in the middle of summer is not the same as sweet newborn pee"

Can you tell me how URINE from one type of person is any different than URINE from anyone else? Inquiring minds would love to know!

Diet, health, hormones, water, asparagus... anything that can affect urine will. So yes, some pee is smellier than other, sometimes much smellier.

#10 of 10 Old 12-13-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emily Hartsay View Post

Think along the lines "pee from a kitten" vs. "pee from a full-grown mature tomcat." Ok, probably not as bad, but we are mammals, too, there might be some difference.

Medications, alcohol, hormones, health conditions - they change the chemical makeup. Some diseases give urine a characteristic smell.

Foods do that, too. Asparagus, beef jerky, red beets, lots of things.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page