EC friendly winter clothes for infants - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-16-2011, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

This never seemed to be an issue for DD's because they were born in the spring and well into 12-18 month clothes by their first winter, but I'm having a heck of a time finding EC friendly winter outerwear for sizes smaller than 12 mo.  We were given a heavy bunting sack for DS but the couple times I've used it thus far have made it difficult to potty him in the car or on the go without taking the whole darn thing off!  We need something like a coat and wool pants. And though you can find infant jackets various places, I can't seem to find a proper heavy winter coat in small sizes.  The winters here are harsh and a jacket or blanket just isn't going to cut it; he's going to need something warmer.  Anyone else encounter this or have any suggestions?

Sarah born 04/03/02dust.gif , Ashley born 03/13/04homebirth.jpg,  Rigel born 09/10/11 nocirc.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2011, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)

EBAY!

go OLD

NEW stuff is made for diapers - years ago children were out of diapers and clothing reflected it - just wait until you have an 18 - 24 month and want PANTS---they will fall right down because you won't have a bulky diaper to hold it up! I found older stuff - 50's - early 80's were the correct size as well - pants for 12months fit a 12 month- more true to size

OLD STUFF--- there are many items that are in great shape and even with shipping 1/2 of NEW

old coats and leggins is what we went with--super easy- most time in a car seat we just wore a sweater with the heat on and coat when we got out and tinkled in the car without the door even open

we ECed from the stat and also never used those "snap" outfits either- we used old drawstring sleepers-----so much easier 

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Old 12-02-2011, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

ha I am thinking about the same time but we don;t have a car so its for babywearing. I am thinking about looking for or just making a hooded bunting sack that can open at the bottom. I actually don't need full on outdoor weight b/c baby will be inside my coat this winter. If I was using a carseat a lot, I think I'd go for felted wool pieces (you could make out of recycled sweaters?) and a really thick carseat bunting. But what do I know. I used to live in carland, but it was Southern Caifornia and you could just toss a recieving blankiet over your baby and it would be fine ;)

dissertating mom to three

Old 12-03-2011, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

I eventually found a good coat from old navy, but it's since disappeared from their website, so they must not have had many in stock.  In fact, they only had the 3-6mo size when I ordered it, so I hope it will fit him all winter.  (in this horrible climate winter can last til April :( --hate it here). He might outgrow it before it warms up and hopefully I can find something bigger then..

Sarah born 04/03/02dust.gif , Ashley born 03/13/04homebirth.jpg,  Rigel born 09/10/11 nocirc.gif

Old 12-05-2011, 02:19 PM

I made DS a wool coat with a hood from a thrifted wool sweater, and I bought and then made wool 'longies' on Etsy - they are pretty cheap in general.  I used a sweatshirt he had that fit as a general template for the coat.  It was great the first winter - this winter he refuses to touch wool AT ALL, so I need to line it with cotton so we can use it another year. 

Old 12-05-2011, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, unfortunately about the only sewing I can handle is sewing on buttons! ;) I discovered, for anyone still looking, that American Eagle's 77 Kids website has several baby-sized heavy winter coats.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:59 PM

I'm not loving the winter clothing options, either.

Have you tried split crotch pants? I can handle a few snaps but I can't stand to take his pants off, then unsnap, then un-diaper (well, it's the redressing that bugs me more)  I have one pair of split crotch overalls that I'm digging, so I'm going to make a couple more pairs when I get my machine back.  If you don't sew (I honestly have a harder time sewing on a button than making split crotch pants) you can put a wool sweater on upside down under his clothes like long johns, like legs in the arms, and use a prefold belt under his arms to secure it.  If its a kids sweater cut the neck away to the point where you can get to his diaper.  Then he is warm, his belly doesn't hang out and his legs are still covered when you take his pants off to potty him.  A coat on top makes it all perfect.  

I'm not sure how easy it would be to find a kids wool coat.  My son has been wearing an adult sized wool sweater like a little sleeping bag lately and I've been enjoying just sticking his little rump out the neck hole for potty time.

Good luck.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1

User Tag List