Poop trauma - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-17-2011, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi there.

I need some help from more experienced moms on this issue. My DD is 9 months old, we have been doing part-time EC since birth. No stress at all.

She started solids for a couple months already but in the last days she got constipated. I should have start noticing that she was arching her back during BMs and her stool getting harder. I think I should have watched more her diet or revert to only breast milk but her poop got so hard that she was holding it and she was refusing even to pee. Now since yesterday she is only on breast milk, she passed very hard stools in the middle of the night (she woke up in pain) and again in the morning. In the afternoon, today, her stools were already much softer but she was crying and crying. I'm not forcing her to go on the potty, sink or toilette. I'm holding her and try to reassure her. She still refuses to pee.

What can I do? Just wait and hopefully it will sort out on its own?

Any advice is welcome.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2011, 09:04 AM

Aw- poor bub! DS went through similar at the "poop transition". I agree EBF.... Is her bottom raw? We went to using olive or coconut oil on reusable wipes at this time to ease the ow on his bottom (DS would hold it so long softer poo would be leaking around the hard stuff and tore his bottom up). A really nice suggestion we got at another forum is to turn her facing you while you sit together on the big potty- pretty much like she is in a carrier and let her breast feed while she works it out. Maybe it will help her relax and just comfort her through the ouch. 

When you say she is refusing to pee I assume you mean on the potty? (obviously if she isn't peeing at all and is this constipated there is a bigger problem and I'd call the ped). I wouldn't worry about catching pee til the poop is sorted out except maybe on wake ups....

good luck!

"That's the way it is, if that's the way it seems to you."

"Cosi e se vi pare."

Luigi Pirandello

Old 11-18-2011, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrabbitfly View Post

Aw- poor bub! DS went through similar at the "poop transition". I agree EBF.... Is her bottom raw?

When you say she is refusing to pee I assume you mean on the potty? (obviously if she isn't peeing at all and is this constipated there is a bigger problem and I'd call the ped). I wouldn't worry about catching pee til the poop is sorted out except maybe on wake ups....

good luck!

Thanks Flyrabbitfly!

Her bottom is ok, no reddness. Yesterday I had the thought that  she could have UTI, so I called the doctor and this morning I went to collect her pee to the lab. Today she was in general happier, so maye the problem was really that she got scared by the difficulty with BMs and I can totally exclude  a UTI possibility, I'm waiting for the lab results on Monday .  Today didn't catch a single pee but at least DD didn't refuse to be held over the toilet. Thanks to EBF her poop when back to very soft and this morning she pooped in her diaper without complaining.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks again for your answer.

User Tag List