New To EC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-18-2011, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am new to this board and to EC. I just ordered a BBLP, Diaper Free Baby, & Infant Potty Training Basics. My LO will be 2 months old in a few days. What would be the best first step for me to take with her (seeing as my tools are not here yet)? I do not know anyone who practices this so I am at a loss.  Thank you!

#2 of 4 Old 11-18-2011, 10:19 PM

Welcome! I couldn't wait to start trying EC until my tools arrived either! We started at about 5-6 weeks, so pretty close to your child's age. After devouring info online (and thinking it was pretty crazy btw, but also utterly intriguing) I woke up one morning with my DS, took a wipe box and put it on the floor in front of a full length mirror, put him in position and he went! I couldn't believe it! I know it isn't always so easy, but my DS was pretty reliable at that age. I'd say just get a container ready and put your LO over it at commonly predictable times like after waking in the morning, waking after naps, and a short time after he or she eats. Also if your LO is really comfortable and relaxed and suddenly gets squirmy and/or agitated that is also a good time to try. For us EC was a great tool in itself because my baby was pretty much always content unless he had to go to the bathroom. We would pee him and that's it! Back to content baby. Be prepared for lots of pees at that age, btw! They can go as often as every 20 minutes until they get a little older. 

Also, I would make sure you are using a comfortable, cozy position. Have your LO close to you and warm. I started by sitting on the floor with the wipes box container between my legs. I was sitting on my shins with my feet tucked under my butt and legs spread enough for the wipes box to fit between. My baby would have his back resting on my stomach and I would have my hands on his thighs positioning him correctly. He loved this position because we were comfortable (though I know this position may not work for everybody) and in front of a mirror so we could see each other and watch and learn about the pottying!

Have fun!

EC so easy with ecaPants!! ~the flip down, drop front, little learning pants

Check out FB for updates, 'seconds' sales, deal announcements, etc smile.gif

#3 of 4 Old 11-19-2011, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

So far I caught a pee on my first try... almost on my second (couldn't get the diaper off quick enough and she peed just as I unsnapped), and my third was a success. After that no sucesses, but after reading yo.ur response I can see part of why. I would try and potty her randomly... as I figured she may need to go. I know when she has to poop typically since she goes still and makes a face, but it is typically while nursing. How do I work with that? I like the mirror idea! I also wasn't holding her properly I guess, especially the last few times. I did buy a few bowls just for this at the Dollar Tree today, so tomorrow I will sit on a towel with the bowl between my legs. Do you think near the changing table would be ok? She only gets changed on the changing tables (one upstairs and one downstaris). People act like I am a nut when I call to talk about her peeing on the big people potty. I am beyond stoked!!! Hurry up Amazon!

#4 of 4 Old 11-20-2011, 12:07 PM

riboflavin has some great ideas!!!

You can just hold your lo over the big people potty and don't have to worry about cleaning out bowls, etc. Keeping somehting by the changing table is what we do and it is really helpful bcs there diaper is already off so that is a great time to offer. There is nothing wrong with offering just because but it really does help to focus on the times you know they need to go. With dd1 she never gave me clear clues so I went off of timing and our schedule looked something like this:

wake up

before nursing

after nursing

before being placed in something (eg: car seat, swing, sling, etc)

after being removed from something

at diaper changes

By doing that she was in undies at 7 months with only about 3-4 misses a day.

dd2 is giving me way better signals so we do some timing but can mostly use her cues.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page