How Many CD Needed for EC with a Newborn? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-29-2011, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm planning on doing prefolds (probably mostly w/o a cover in the beginning so I can learn cues) and starting EC ASAP. Not sure if it's a boy or girl. How many diapers would you suggest I get?

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2011, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think I had 18 for my second child and that was more than enough (they were a hand-me-down set so I just had what I had, you know?). I have currently been loaned 23 newborn size prefolds and flats, so I am going to see how many I am typically using and then when I have to purchase or borrow the regular size, I will have an idea how many I need.

Of course a lot depends on how often you do the wash.

dissertating mom to three

Old 11-29-2011, 01:49 PM

I'd suggest getting lots (at least 24) so that you can change babe as soon as they wet the prefold and not have to do laundry every day!  I had purchased 24 prefolds before DS was born (not yet intending to EC) and started ECing at 2.5 mos.  When I did start EC I wished that I had more than 24, although I was able to get by with that number.  I used prefolds with a snappi (and later on when I couldn't snappi the small size on DS with a cover) until switching DS to trainers around 7 mos.

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:02 PM

I have 2 dozen flats plus a few extra random diapers/receiving blankets that we use as diapers.  Laundry was about every other day, but has slowed a little bit now.  Small flats are nice because they work well for both 'newborn' and 'small' size - maybe more. Now that we're in 'smalls' I have a back-up of hand-me-down pocket diapers.  I would guess we use about 3 dozen now, all together.  We generally wash when we're out of flats.  You want to have enough that you can be relaxed and not stress about missing cues because you're running out of diapers.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:58 PM

I'm a first time mom, but I have two dozen infant prefolds and two dozen flats.  I plan on padfolding the flats in covers for outings/nights/naps, and using the prefolds with a prefold belt when in-arms/in-carrier.

Tags
Elimination Communication
User Tag List