How do you clean your potty? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 12-03-2011, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a bblp that we're using with our five week old son, and we're trying to figure out the best way to keep the potty clean. What do you do after pees? What about after poos? Any other tips on keeping the potty clean? Thank you!

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 12-03-2011, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

We just rinsed it with vinegar and wiped it out. 

'09   
#3 of 11 Old 12-03-2011, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

To be honest, I just dump pee in the toilet, rinse with plain water and flush.  With poo I do the same and then finish off with a 7th gen disposable wipe (which we use for wiping DS too) if it doesn't seem clean. I periodically clean it more with a vinegar spray, I guess I figure water is all that's used in a real toilet aside from occasional cleaning, so what other maintenance do we truly need with a little potty.  IMO if you're spending lots of time cleaning little potties, you're defeating some of the convenience of EC ;)

Sarah born 04/03/02dust.gif , Ashley born 03/13/04homebirth.jpg,  Rigel born 09/10/11 nocirc.gif

#4 of 11 Old 12-03-2011, 07:19 PM

I have a diaper sprayer since I cloth diaper and although I don't have to use it for diapers thanks to EC (woohoo!!), it is the best thing ever for cleaning the potty. After poop, I wipe with a Green Works wipe and then rinse with the sprayer. The sprayer is also the best thing ever to clean my Diva cup (sorry if that's TMI).

#5 of 11 Old 12-04-2011, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanks for the tip on the diva cup!  I have a diaper sprayer too and use the diva cup; haven't gotten back my cycles yet, but I will try the diaper sprayer when I do!

Sarah born 04/03/02dust.gif , Ashley born 03/13/04homebirth.jpg,  Rigel born 09/10/11 nocirc.gif

#6 of 11 Old 12-04-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2sarah View Post

To be honest, I just dump pee in the toilet, rinse with plain water and flush.  With poo I do the same and then finish off with a 7th gen disposable wipe (which we use for wiping DS too) if it doesn't seem clean. I periodically clean it more with a vinegar spray

we do similar. dump, rinse, wipe it out as needed. I scrub it along with the rest of the bathroom stuff on the weekend when I clean the bathroom.

dissertating mom to three

#7 of 11 Old 12-05-2011, 01:14 PM

For pee we just dump and water rinse.  For poo, dump, wipe with TP until no visible poo, then wash with Dr. Bronners that we have in a foam pumper at the sink.  DS is 2, and none of the various potties stink yet!

#8 of 11 Old 12-05-2011, 01:39 PM

For pee, we just rinsed it out with water.  For poops I'd wipe it with TP and then spray it with a vinegar/water/tea tree oil mixture (tea tree oil is a very good disinfectant).  But, even easier than that is to get a bumbo insert when DC is big enough because then they can just go on the toilet and all you have to do is flush!

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#9 of 11 Old 12-13-2011, 09:02 AM

I second nstewart! Holding them in classic position (or other various positions) over the toilet rocks for the easiness aspect! We started doing that sometimes at about 6 and a half  weeks IIRC. Of course the little potties are awesome too and not hard to clean. Like most people above, we just dumped pees in toilet and washed with water most of the time. Poos were dealt with using toilet paper and then washing with whatever was on hand; dish soap, bronners, etc.

EC so easy with ecaPants!! ~the flip down, drop front, little learning pants

Check out FB for updates, 'seconds' sales, deal announcements, etc smile.gif

#10 of 11 Old 02-10-2012, 08:06 PM

For pee, I absorb it up with a CD. For poo, we use the diaper sprayer and then spray & wipe with a natural cleaner.

http://moregreenforlessgreen.blogspot.com/

Living more eco-friendly for less money

Success after loss and infertility! Joyful mom to two boys (1/11 and 8/12)

#11 of 11 Old 02-11-2012, 01:23 PM

I feel so lazy, I only wash my potty if other people's kids come over and I'm worried they might play in it. 

I dump and rinse for whatever is in there. My guy still has seedy poo. In the morning when the potty is full of a night worth of pee and poo I will rinse and wipe with a dry cloth wipe and if there are seeds stuck to it I will let water stand in it in the tub until I think of it again. My potty is over 9 years old and has no stains or smells. 

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1

Tags
Elimination Communication

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page