New to EC/baby wails while pooping - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-12-2011, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm new to EC and I would greatly appreciate some advice on how to interpret cues. I've tried catching my baby's pees/poops a couple times, but want to work on it more actively. My latest attempt was a bit messy. After waking up from a nap, I held my baby over a potty bowl (he's 4 weeks and he's our first child). He was calm and held securely. Then he started to cry. I noticed a little poop in the bowl, but I wasn't sure if he was done. Then he started to wail, and I thought he might be uncomfortable. I picked him up and laid him on a changing table. He pooped/"sharted" a little more. I ended up picking him up and holding him while he wailed and pooped all over the changing table (thankfully not me!). Is it normal for a child to be so distressed while pooping? Perhaps he's more comfortable pooping in a diaper? Has anyone experienced something similar? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 12-13-2011, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Lots of babies cry when they poop in the beginning, diaper or no.

When my first was new we used to joke that he had to scream the poop out.

No advice really, it's a short lived phase.  How are you holding him? Maybe lower his knees (so his belly is less squished) a bit and see if that helps? 

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#3 of 3 Old 12-17-2011, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraf View Post

Lots of babies cry when they poop in the beginning, diaper or no.

When my first was new we used to joke that he had to scream the poop out.

No advice really, it's a short lived phase.  How are you holding him? Maybe lower his knees (so his belly is less squished) a bit and see if that helps? 

I totally agree with this.  I think it's a weird sensation for a newborn to get used to--whether in the diaper or no.

Mama to Nell (11/15/06) and Maggie (10/9/10) . AFTER 2.5 YEARS, I AM AN AUNTIE!!! joy.gifHOORAY TEAR78 and welcome Anika and Brand New Baby Boy!!!!  Circumcision: the more you know, the worse it is; please leave the decision up to your son!

Tags
Elimination Communication

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page