Infant EC'ing-wear question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-22-2011, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I didn't start EC with DS until he was 6 mos, but I'm due in June and thinking I'll EC from the start this time around.

I'm somewhat fixated on the newborn "gown" thinking that I could prefold and snapi when necessari (vs. crotch-snap onsies that would get wet).

nb.gown.png

Has anyone used them? Did they work as wonderfully as I'm hoping they will?

While I'm at it....it's been 5-6 years....any good EC'ing from infancy websites/literature?

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#2 of 9 Old 12-24-2011, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I love the gowns. My eced babies were both winter so we added socks and leg warmers. She wears these at home w a fitted diaper and no cover. Out and about she wears cloth pull ups w a variety of clothing (and NO snaps). 

For a summer baby you can do infant t shirts too (w or w out leg warmers depending on the temperature).

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#3 of 9 Old 12-27-2011, 07:45 AM

I love gowns too. my second and third (current) baby have spent most of their infant months in gowns.

I still use diaper covers- I have some velcro ones and just lay a folded dipe into it.

I have a bunch of hand-me-downs... I'd say the gerbers are the smallest, "speesies" gowns are great a bit bigger, carters as well. Kate Quinn gowns are gorgeous, a much thicker, softer cotton, they are larger and the company also makes a bigger size (3-6m) which I have a few in the drawer for when she grows out of these ones. Some of those may still be on the $10 sale that was going on. (not to shill for Kate Quinn, just that they are normally over $30 each so its nice to see the sale)

The one thing about gowns- if you are going in the carseat a lot, they are inconvenient for using the crotch buckle (if its also cold and you want the legs covered). We don't have a car and are almost never using it, and they work fine for a baby "heart-to-heart" in the sling or in the infant insert in the ergo. I just cross her legs inside the gown. I guess you could just throw longies on underneath and let the gown get bunched up. But I would imagine that might be kind of annoying to deal with if you are in and out of 5-point-harness frequently.

dissertating mom to three

#4 of 9 Old 12-27-2011, 10:40 AM

we use baby leg warmers and it works fine for the swing or carseat crotch buckle. www.babysnazz.com has great deals

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#5 of 9 Old 01-04-2012, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Gowns are great!  And if baby is big enough, and it's warm enough inside your home, you can actually hike up the gown to waist level and use the elastic like a prefold belt--this makes pottying even faster than with a snappi and it worked for us for the first few months til DS got too squirmy and we bought a real prefold belt and switched to shirts instead of gowns.

Sarah born 04/03/02dust.gif , Ashley born 03/13/04homebirth.jpg,  Rigel born 09/10/11 nocirc.gif

#6 of 9 Old 01-05-2012, 10:43 PM

Gowns, yes! And t-shirts with babylegs were the standard dress for out and about. Or dresses. smile.gif

The EC Wear website has a lot of great info.

Kimberly, in love with Hannah Rose! (04/08) EC grad!
#7 of 9 Old 01-18-2012, 04:01 PM

Hi, eirual! I'm back here after a 5 year hiatus, too! I remember you from when I was on here with DS! :)

I don't love the gowns for a newborn, personally, even though I thought I would. Even this time of year, my favorite is a t-shirt or a (short) dress and socks, and maybe baby legs, though they are too big yet for my little NB. Then, if it's cold inside, I add a blanket. I don't like any clothing that covers the diaper area, mostly because I don't use covers (I use kissaluvs) so any clothing right next to the diaper gets wet most of the time when they pee, and it is a pain to keep changing clothes all day, and it is disruptive to the baby (and me)!

I only have a few t-shirts, and the kind I like (no snaps, just the shoulders like a onesie) are a little tricky to find, plus the ones I have are a bit short, so I'm thinking about cutting off some onesies, since I seem to have a ton somehow! I'll cut them as long as I can and hem if it seems that they need it.

L'lee reading.gif ~ C geek.gif ~ E broc1.gif May, 2006 ~ Rjoy.gif12/29/2011nocirc.gif goorganic.jpg ecbaby2.gif homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#8 of 9 Old 01-18-2012, 07:01 PM

I loved them for EC'd and non-EC'd newborns... but it does really depend on if you are using a waterproof barrier or not.  The gown will get wet if you are not.  I used FuzziBunz (and will again, for the most part) and found them great.  I could unsnap them quickly and point DS easily.  It may be different if we have a girl this time.

Tjej

#9 of 9 Old 01-19-2012, 04:20 PM

I loved the gowns too! We used them with leg warmers when chilly and used side snap and eventually drop flap trainers underneath if we needed back up. It was really quick and easy for us. Someone mentioned leg warmers not quite fitting for newborns, but I think I did see that babylegs started making newborn size recently. In regards to new websites/lit, I really liked tribal baby and recently EC Simplified came out. It's an eBook, with lots of pictures, videos, etc. EC is fun is newer and cute too. http://ecisfun.com/ Welcome back!

EC so easy with ecaPants!! ~the flip down, drop front, little learning pants

Check out FB for updates, 'seconds' sales, deal announcements, etc smile.gif

Tags
Elimination Communication

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page