Newborn EC questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-16-2012, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello all! 

I have done *some* EC on my other kids...starting at 10 months with #3 and at 2 months with #4 but have never done EC with a newborn until now with my 5th daughter.  So far things are going well.  I usually catch all but 1 poop a day and catch 5-6 pees.  She is two weeks old and we've been EC'ing for about a week now. 

Questions!

1.  She rouses to go to the bathroom every 1.5 hours but would otherwise rouse to eat every 2-3 hours.  When I take her to the toilet she eats more frequently because she won't go back to sleep after going to the toilet.  Do babies eventually start sleeping again after going to the toilet?  When might this happen?

2.  How long do you usually keep the child on the toilet?  I feel like I could just about leave her there for an hour and she would just keep pooping continually!  She will poop what I would consider a diaper full and then if I stay there for another minute she will poop what would be another diaper full.  She only occasionally gives me the arched back signally that she is actually done.

I'm sure I'll have more questions soon, but that's all for now...thanks in advance for any help you can offer!  joy.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 02-18-2012, 06:47 AM

Personally I prioritize sleep over pottying when possible. I don't do a lot of nighttime EC with my current baby (3.5m) b/c I am tired and we both seem to sleep through it. With my second (previous) baby there were many months where I would pee her 1 or 2 times in the night and she would awake dry and sleep many hours. I noticed that she did really start "holding" it and was mostly dry at night. (then things changed again for a while, you know how it is). I kept a little potty beside the bed so I didn't have to totally get up to do it. Also a simple diapering system (like unfastened prefolds inside an easy-to-remove cover) so that nighttime pottying is quick and can be done in the dark.

This baby is the only one I started EC from the beginning. She seemed to consolidate her poos pretty quickly. I think, as long as you want to potty her, no harm, but its also ok for her to use diapers if it makes your life work better. With older kids around, its hard to be "on top" of the constant pottying. I personally don't worry if it means that there are misses.

Good luck! So far I have noticed that every kid is different with elimination- just like everything else!

dissertating mom to three

#3 of 4 Old 02-18-2012, 07:32 AM

How long? I try to go until done. I'm impatient, tho so my guy usually has to go again soon if I don't wait long enough. I hold him over the pot, lay him across my lap to wipe, hold him up again and repeat until he quits.

I don't know about the waking thing. My kid nurses way more often than he pees. I only wake him for pees if I'm trying to sleep and he is wiggling and keeping me up. During the day I get him up for pees because he doesn't wear enough diaper that my lap would stay dry and when he pees in a diaper he will pee again every few minutes until I take him.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#4 of 4 Old 02-18-2012, 03:20 PM

I think poops will consolidate within a couple of months... i would err on the side of not staying on the pot long enough rather than too long- you don't want it to be something unpleasant to your LO. I think Seraf posted on another thread a good idea to put a cloth wipe in the dipe for those little poo-farts that use up so many dipes early on!

Nighttime, it can take awhile for a babe that prefers to nightime potty to sleep very long stretches. Offer the boob first and then if babe is still squrimy, the potty. My DS would pee every 2 hours for months. We got so when we did it, neither of us woke all the way, but still, it is tiring. If we didn't potty him though he was a thrasher, so we slept better with pottying. He was dry in the bed before 1 year old. Still potties once or twice a night. Easiest system for us is to keep a yogurt container by the bed, but that might not work as good with a girl- or it might work fine- you'd have to try it... Some people I have read even nurse and potty at the same time- I've never managed to do this without ending up wearing a lot of pee, but I have a boy, and you know, it can go wide sometimes:)

Good luck!

"That's the way it is, if that's the way it seems to you."

"Cosi e se vi pare."

Luigi Pirandello

Tags
Elimination Communication

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page