can you help me get my 13 month old to sit on the potty? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-19-2012, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been holding him over the toilet since 3 wks but still can't get him to sit on the potty.  He will only pee there while he is nursing and even then he is just as likely to wait till he is done nursing as he knows I will then take him to the toilet.

He is walking now and I feel he wants to be more independent...The toilet is not working too well either... I want him to pee and poo on the potty so that gradually he can experiment with getting there himself.

Any ideas how to get him to sit on it? I don't care if he is successful, just sitting there with his clothes would be a start.

Should I just wait another couple of months and he will try it himself??

#2 of 4 Old 02-19-2012, 02:46 PM

My little guy doesn't like the potty either.  We have a BBLP and he really prefers the toilet as well.  Once in a while he'll sit on it and go, but often he sits and then says "no".  I've been trying to take his stuffed animals "pee" on the potty...he thinks it's funny but he's not super keen on it yet.  If he likes the toilet, what about getting an insert so you at least don't have to hold him?  Then you can work your way up to getting a stool for it so he can climb on himself when he's bigger (that's what our next step is as DS is now telling us when he needs to pee) and keep trying the potty along the way?

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#3 of 4 Old 02-19-2012, 09:43 PM

If you can arrange some play dates with older toddlers who use the potty he might want to try it after seeing them go- he might just want the big toilet because that is what you use. Not a bad thing really, easy to flush! You will need to make it safe and easy for him to climb up on his own at some point....

"That's the way it is, if that's the way it seems to you."

"Cosi e se vi pare."

Luigi Pirandello

#4 of 4 Old 05-26-2012, 07:13 PM

This is very late, but in case it helps someone else, I thought I would write. We had the same issue, though a little earlier. What I did was first introduced a potty seat (the kind that go on top of the regular toilet). I would sit in the same position, behind him, supporting his thighs, with that beneath us. Then, I started to phase out my hands being under his thighs, and he got used to the feel of the potty seat. Soon, I would just be sitting behind him as he was fully supported on the potty seat (yes this was a bit awkward and uncomfortable). Finally, I started sitting next to him. At that point, he got used to being by himself (with me next to him on a stool) on a potty seat on the big toilet. It was just a gradual transition and didn't seem to matter much to him.

Of course, we now have the problem that he won't use the little potty, which means that he can't just go in and sit by himself, but I prefer using the big one, since my 4 year old who trained at age 3 yrs 2 months still uses the little potty and I really want to phase that thing out!! After all, he will need help pulling up and down his pants for a long time anyway, so needing me to set him up there isn't that bad. And, the attention span is so short that he won't stay on the little potty anyway!

Mama to angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif

DS1 (6) jog.gif , DS2 (3)sleepytime.gifbaby.gif DD is here!

Tags
Elimination Communication

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page