Night time ec - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-26-2012, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! My lil guy is 3mo old and we just started ec'ing him about 1 mo ago. At first just for poops then taking him to pee at each diaper change. Now trying to take the next step and read his cues. So far I have been mostly unsuccessful with that and find I'm just giving him lots of pee opportunities and if he resists just assuming he doesn't have to go yet. Night time has been hard though. He sleeps deep and hates getting disrupted. He literally eats w his eyes closed at night. So I try to hold him in such a way that he can nurse and doze and if he squirts it goes in the plastic bowl. Problem is he is too sound asleep to pee. But if I wake him he gets enraged and will scream, if I don't I end up laying him down and then he pees the bed. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 03:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

He's so young I wouldn't worry about it too much.  If you have energy (and it sounds like you do even with a 3 month old--wow you're amazing!), you might hold him so he can nurse and doze and catch the pee--then when he pees make your cue noise (sss or whatever you're using).  My guess is that he'll "register" it on some level even if he's mostly asleep.  Both my dd's keep their eyes closed during night nursings/peeings, but I'm convinced that they're not "fully" asleep...largely because they seemed to "get it" at night pretty young (especially dd1, who was sleeping diaperless from maybe 8 months on???  I forget exactly...I'm not as brave this time around, and dd2 has been less predictably obvious at night...so she still wears dipes, although she only pees in the dipe at night a couple of times a month at most.  So far.)

At some point (I forget what age) for my dd's what worked/works was to nurse first (I did this side-lying with a finger in their dipes so that I could tell if they peed and start making the cue noise).  For my first, I didn't always offer to pee unless she started popping on and off the boob (I think this wasn't til a bit older than your little one though...maybe 6-8 months??  It's a blur...).  For her, this was a sure-fire signal that she needed to pee.  I would then hold her over a bowl in bed and she'd go.  Sometimes I'd have to nurse while she peed--talk about contortion, in the dark, with a bowl of pee in bed--yikes!  For my second, I don't always offer to pee but she doesn't pop on and off the boob.  For her, it's whether or not she goes back to sleep easily--if she fusses and tosses...or if she kind of has a hitch or very subtle whine in her breathing, it means that she needs to pee.

This helped both my dd's a lot--it meant that I wasn't offering to pee if they didn't really need to go (which irritated them a lot--just like your ds).  For my first, I did sleep with my finger in her diaper for the first few weeks while I was learning her cues.  That way I could let go of needing to offer the potty as often, but I felt like I'd still learn when they needed to go because it would wake me up!  It helped me realize their "cues" by teaching me to think back each time they peed--oh yeah, she was popping on and off the boob that time, or she was fussy this way.  Make any sense?

For both of my kids I found that their pee cues are much clearer at night.  Maybe it's because I'm not trying to get anything else done (except sleep!  Oh yeah, what's that?), or maybe it's because they're not doing anything else, so any movement is telling.

Good luck!

Mama to Nell (11/15/06) and Maggie (10/9/10) . AFTER 2.5 YEARS, I AM AN AUNTIE!!! joy.gifHOORAY TEAR78 and welcome Anika and Brand New Baby Boy!!!!  Circumcision: the more you know, the worse it is; please leave the decision up to your son!

Old 02-29-2012, 09:19 AM

My guy wouldn't nurse if he had to pee in the beginning so night times were pretty obvious.  He is 3 months and we do a diaper belt with a flat tucked in.  We sleep on a fleeece blanket so the sheets stay dry.  He sleeps on his side and kicks me when he needs to pee.  I sit up, potty him and lay back down.  I nurse if he is still moving or just go back to sleep if he is still.  If he roots while on the pot I will give him a boob then and he pees the moment it touches his lips.  Kind of funny.

If you put a coverless diaper on her you might notice that she is peeing at a different point in the wake up than you're offering the pot.  If she stays in the same part of the bed you can put a prefold under her rump and change it out when it's wet.  Thats what I did with my first 2, this one will pee on my stomach instead of the prefold, tho.   

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
Old 02-29-2012, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

thanks !! 

will let you know how it goes!

Old 03-07-2012, 05:38 PM

My DD is a little over two month and we started ecing part time maybe a month ago. Normally early on I would get  up with her a 2am and change a soggy diaper. Then something funny happened when she got a really bad rash. I was only using a flat without a cover and we fell asleep that way. I didn't want to wake her to put a cover on so I just kept touching the diaper to see if it was wet. 2am came and she was dry! At that point I decided not to chance it any longer, got up and put her on the potty. Anyways I've had the same thing happen a couple more times and it seems like if I have a cover on her she is going to soak the diaper but if I don't then she holds it. I just don't get it.

The part that might apply to you-

When I started to move her away from me half asleep and put her over the potty she would scream. So I nursed her for a few minutes and tried again, kept repeating until she was ok with it. As long as she was nursing she didn't pee but maybe your LO is different. Mine doesn't want to cooperate unless she has a full stomach.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wafflefish View Post

I've had the same thing happen a couple more times and it seems like if I have a cover on her she is going to soak the diaper but if I don't then she holds it. I just don't get it.

My theory on this is that *I* wake up more easily if I KNOW there's no cover/diaper on the baby...consequences and all that... :)

Mama to Nell (11/15/06) and Maggie (10/9/10) . AFTER 2.5 YEARS, I AM AN AUNTIE!!! joy.gifHOORAY TEAR78 and welcome Anika and Brand New Baby Boy!!!!  Circumcision: the more you know, the worse it is; please leave the decision up to your son!

Old 03-09-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlyle View Post

My theory on this is that *I* wake up more easily if I KNOW there's no cover/diaper on the baby...consequences and all that... :)

Yeah I think that is probably true.

Part of me thinks that I should never put I cover on her at night so that I would force myself into not being lazy. If there is one of the two of us that is not really up to the task of night time ec I think it is me.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:51 PM

All mine have slept cover less but this is the only one I really wake up to take potty multiple times at night. The middle one just dried up at night early.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
Old 03-10-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflefish View Post
If there is one of the two of us that is not really up to the task of night time ec I think it is me.

Probably for good reason too--nothing wrong with a little sleep for the mommy... ;)

Tags
Elimination Communication
User Tag List