Potty training? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-22-2012, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quick backstory for those who don't remember me.

My daughter was ec'd full time, then part time from 4 months on. She's now 3.5, and still hasn't graduated to "potty trained". She'll pee only if we take her (otherwise it's a miss), but poops are almost always a miss, unless we catch her in the act (and even then they're usually still a miss).

My son was ec'd from birth to crawling (4.5 months), and then wanted nothing to do with it. We still try to ec, but catches are rare. He's now 22 months old, and is starting to show more interest. He sometimes signs "poop" after he's done, and he's starting to take his diapers off. Sometimes he wants to sit on the potty, but he doesn't do anything when he does.

With the frustration I had with my daughter, I'm not really sure what to do with my son. I guess we'll be doing a more traditional potty training, but I only know ec.

Does anynone have any suggestions on how to start again? I'm debating going straight to underwear, but i'm just so tired of dealing with clean up.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 03-22-2012, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Have you read Diaper Free Before Three? I read it with my third child and the ideas from it really worked well for our family with the last three girls.

#3 of 4 Old 03-22-2012, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

I actually bought it, but returned it because I didn't get much value out of it. I think I read it in two days though... maybe I should read it again? 

#4 of 4 Old 03-26-2012, 06:18 PM

sgmom - I'd ditch the EC with both of them. EC is great for 0-18 months, basically pre-toddler-fun-stuff. Then the game changes quite a bit.

At this age and with the results you're getting (or not getting), you need a solution that has someone holding your hand through the completion in a noncoercive yet effective manner. I have just the gal. Here's her site (routed thru mine because she is redesigning at the moment): http://ecsimplified.com/pottytraining

I've sent her a large amount of moms who've ECed for varying lengths of time, yet who are ready to be complete (and the kiddo is over 18 months), and she has been 100% in helping them complete the process to "potty trained" within a short amount of time (days to a few weeks at most). It's really an art (that I don't personally possess!). She does it non-coercively with no crazy crap like stickers. She's a pro. And a former Cirque du Soleil performer! :)

She will hold your hand and give you a virtual bear hug because it sounds like you need one! Good luck and I'm hopeful for you 3!

Andrea

Andrea Olson, DS 2.5 yrs, DD due 10/9/13

Author | EC Simplified: Infant Potty Training Made Easy

Owner | GoDiaperFree.com

[I teach parents of 0-20 month old babies how to stop diapering
full-time and how to avoid...

Tags
Elimination Communication

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page