Stumped on What to Wear... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-03-2012, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are hoping to start infant potty training with our newborn in July. We did it with our older one at 3, 6 and 15 months - but I'm not really sure what to do with a baby clothes-wise. When we finally went fulltime with our oldest she could fit into the 2T training pants at the store.

What have you done for small babies? For a girl I figure dresses and leg warmers will work nicely, but what about for boys? I don't want to use the crotchless pants because... well they're just not very culture friendly if ya know what I mean... and I don't want to make everyone uncomfortable. An extra long shirt would work well at home, but what about for out and about and church? Any suggestions?

Also... what do you use for nighttime ECing if it's too cool for the baby to not wear clothes?

Do you have any favorite items or shops you would recommend?  

#2 of 7 Old 05-03-2012, 12:02 PM

For out and about in public places you could use easy up and down loose pants, such as jogging pants. Then use waterproof trainers underneath, like pull up, pull down side snaps or drop flaps. I would forego onesies and just use regular shirts. You can also use split pants with trainers on top them for a more modest, yet very user friendly configuration.

For nighttime EC when it is cold, we used split pants with drop flap trainers on top or baby leg warmers combined with a long nightshirt and a trainer or diaper. 

My favorite items were a little clear potty set in front of a mirror, wool or fleece split pants, mamaroo modest overlapping splits, trainers, baby leg warmers, and waterproof bottomed blankets for the bed. 

EC so easy with ecaPants!! ~the flip down, drop front, little learning pants

Check out FB for updates, 'seconds' sales, deal announcements, etc smile.gif

#3 of 7 Old 05-03-2012, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions!  Where do you get your pants and other items?

#4 of 7 Old 05-03-2012, 12:34 PM

I made a lot of things, but I also bought stuff from EC Wear, EC store and various other stores that I am not even sure if they are in business anymore! There are a bunch of great EC stores out there that are run by work at home moms, and other diaper or kids shops that have EC sections, such as Continuum Family, Small Green Footprint, etc.

EC so easy with ecaPants!! ~the flip down, drop front, little learning pants

Check out FB for updates, 'seconds' sales, deal announcements, etc smile.gif

#5 of 7 Old 05-05-2012, 02:58 PM

Our 6 month old wears shirts or onesies. He gives us plenty of notice to unhook him and goes long enough between pees that the snaps don't bother me anymore.

We use flats and a belt (and sometimes a wool rectangle on the outside) We use homemade training pants. We use undies. We use fuzzy bunz. It totally depends on the outfit. I have little patience for the snaps of a FB if he is wearing a onesie.

We co-sleep, so he is under covers and only wears a shirt and belt/flat at night. On top of a fleece blanket.

In cold weather this winter we made split wool overalls and he wore a belt and flat. I liked overalls because we didn't like the gap between shirts and wool longies. Eventually we switched to longies with a onesie on top.

We switched to trainers when he started standing but the belt is still easier in some situations.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#6 of 7 Old 05-14-2012, 10:17 PM

I use fuzzi bunz as our diaper/backup.  It has worked well with my DS before, and now again with my DD.  When they are a newborn you have more misses (and more catches) just because they go to the bathroom quite often and you are getting to know how they communicate.  But anyway, as far as clothes on top, I tend to use things with 1 step before the diaper.  So it could be pull down pants with a shirt, or a romper with crotch snaps.  At the early stages like I'm still in now (2 months) I find that works well.

IIRC, we used undies on DS occassionally when he was still quite young, but they fit.  The thicker training underwear can fit younger babies because kids tend to get longer and leaner as they grow, so a 2T trainer can fit an 8 mo (depending on the kid, of course).

Tjej

#7 of 7 Old 05-15-2012, 03:44 AM

I have a girl but I wouldn't hesitate to put a boy in legwarmers. They have some awesome prints out there like argyle, flames, camo, dinosaurs, etc. If you don't use cloth diaps as a backup then a pair of baggy shorts on top would make for quick access. I have some adorable pocket diaps with skulls, flames, guitars, etc that I would totally try not to cover up if we have a boy in the future. They also make 13 month old DD look like quite the rockin' toddler ;-)

Tags
Elimination Communication

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page