When can we start using training pants? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 05-25-2012, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello, friendlies!

My 15-month old DD just started using the potty a couple of days ago, yay!!! 

So far, she only successfully makes it to the potty once a day. 

Can I start using training pants? I'm so excited for this new phase, and to phase out diapers, but I don't want to rush and ruin the path she is on. I don't know anything about training pants! Are they pretty self-explanatory?

I will post in the toddler forum, and in the Life with a Babe forum too.

Thank you!

treehugger.gifteapot2.GIFtea6.gifhola.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 05-25-2012, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I started using training pants at about 6 weeks old, so for sure you can start using them. Some people prefer to wait and some people never use them, but many people like them for their convenience. There are many different styles, and most work well for what they were designed for. I'll list some of the styles I can think of, but if I miss any I am sure someone will chime in.

First off all, there are cloth waterproof trainers and non-waterproof trainers. The non-waterproof are helpful when you don't want an accident getting on the floor. They are trimmer and lighter than cloth diapers, so more ideal for EC. The non-waterproof are great for knowing right away when a little one wets, good for learning cues, and nice for in the home when you don't have to worry if there is a miss. 

There are regular pull up, pull down trainers like regular underwear, yet with a little extra padding in the crotch area. The benefit is that these are usually  the cheapest of all styles. The 'con' is that if there is a poo miss, it may get smeared down the legs when pulling it off. 

There are also side snap trainers that help with the above problem. In case of a poo miss, simply unsnap. 

There are also drop flap trainers (disclosure; I make this kind), where the front comes down while a belt stays on the waist so you can potty the baby without taking the whole trainer off. These are side snap or side velcro.

There are also trainers that look like little boxers with a removable pad in them.

I have also seen patterns for regular style trainers with a removable pad; not sure if any are available on the market.

Some of these styles of trainers also come with a pocket or other way to add more absorbency in case you need greater holding power at certain times.

So I believe these are the basic styles and there are combinations of these styles. Check the EC stores to see the different kinds available for younger kids. Also, there are places like diaperswappers where you can buy gently used trainers in order to try the different styles without spending a ton of money. The yahoo group [email protected], though not very active, sometimes has great deals.

Congrats on your ECing success!

EC so easy with ecaPants!! ~the flip down, drop front, little learning pants

Check out FB for updates, 'seconds' sales, deal announcements, etc smile.gif

Tags
Elimination Communication

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page