Sporadic diapering dilemma...how to switch to undies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-25-2012, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)

We're fairly new to this EC business.  Started about 4 months ago, very part-time, and DS is 18mo now.  

Our approach has been to just have him naked any time we're home and he's awake, and cue him to pee roughly every half-hour to hour.  He just gets diapers when we're out of the house and when he's asleep.  So far he hasn't initiated going to the bathroom if he has to potty, but he's really good about shaking his head "no" if I ask him and he doesn't need to yet.  If he does need to, he'll look towards the bathroom or just not shake his head.  We have maybe one or two misses a day, always when he's playing and doesn't want to be interrupted...he shakes his head "no" when I *know* he has to go.

When we're outside, I just let him go - I don't take him inside to potty.  Is that going to be confusing for him; should I be taking him inside (we pee him over the sink; he refuses the little potty)?  I'm just worried that whenever we get to undies he's going to think he can just go whenever we're playing in the yard.

Speaking of undies - he definitely associates being naked with using the potty, and having anything covering his bum means he can just go.  That's pretty common in conventional potty training, right?  Anyway, I tried some trainers on him yesterday and he peed right away, both times I used them, and then for the rest of the day he peed in little dribbles in the floor rather than waiting to use the potty.  So...do you think I should wait on undies until he can prompt me on when he needs to potty?

I think the sporadic diaper use is confusing for him, but I don't know how to get around it.  He nurses through naps and through the night, and definitely needs to be diapered.  We're not quite ready to use potties while we're out...and then we still have the problem of him assuming it's "safe" to pee when he's wearing undies.  Oh, also, he only poops in diapers.  He poops always either right after we diaper him for nighttime, or immediately upon waking in the morning.

I mean...he's 18 months now, and we started so late...should I be considering this more PL rather than EC?  I have no goals in mind, really...the only reason I'm somewhat eager to get him out of diapers is that we've had some rash struggles.  We do the UP thing and I'm not going to praise him for using the potty, and that seems to be involved with just about every PL "program" I've seen.  

Any advice is appreciated!  

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#2 of 3 Old 05-25-2012, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've heard that it is pretty common to think undies are diapers.

Sweat pants seem to be noticeably different because the wetness goes all down one leg.

It sounds like he is just working it out. Keep talking to him about it.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#3 of 3 Old 05-25-2012, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
An alternative to praising potty success is to point out how nice it is for HIM to be using the potty, for example "it's so nice to pee on the potty because you don't have to sit in a wet diaper. It is so much more comfortable to stay clean and dry." I read this tip in the EC book "diaper free baby". It lets you be positive and happy without introducing the whole praise thing. It made sense to me although I am guilty of praising here and there (I try not to).

Tags
Elimination Communication

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page