Best way to get started with a 3 month old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-26-2012, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Start by sticking her on the pot at regular times? Like when she wakes up from a nap?

Shes pretty obvious when she poops and still likes to pee on the changing table, but haven't been able to 'catch' it in time to introduce a cue-ing noise - she pees on the table without me realizing until I go to put the clean diaper on (usually when I'm stuffing a pocket diaper because I was too busy/lazy to prestuff them). She poops when shes nursing and we side lie nurse at home most of the time, so getting up and running to the bathroom makes her stop pooping. Should I just start making the poo cue-ing noise when she poops, like little grunts?

Thanks!

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 05-27-2012, 06:25 AM

I recommend reading the diaper free baby if you can get it at your local library. The title sounds intimidating and hard core but the book is very very friendly and easy to pick up. The phrase "diaper free" in this book is used to refer to freeing baby from an exclusive reliance on diapers, not ditching them 100%. In fact the book lays out strategies for a variety of ages (4 or so sections covering birth to 2 years old) so you can find sections on what would be great now and how you can modify once baby is sitting/crawling/walking, etc. it also clearly explains how to start later (I started at 11 months). The book also talks about occasional EC, part time EC, full time EC and doing EC with disposables so there is really a wide selection of information. (btw I'm not affiliated with the book lol. I just really find it useful and am actually looking to purchase it).

For the time being, the best thing to help you get started is to observe baby diaper less, both to cue her and to start getting to know her timing and/or subtle signals. So prestuff you pockets and pay attention lol. One approach many moms like is to nurse with an open diaper under baby's bum. Many babies pee while on the breast and the open diaper will catch the mess while letting you see the action. You can absolutely start with a little daily observation and keep baby in a diaper most of the rest of the time (or go for lots of free time if you prefer). As you get the hang of things, you can start holding a container between your thighs under nursing baby to make some catches.

I have to run but hopefully that gives you an idea or two of how you can start off nice and easy.
Good luck
#3 of 4 Old 05-27-2012, 06:35 AM

Sorry, forgot to add that after naps and first thing in the morning are great times to make catches so by all means, try :-)
#4 of 4 Old 05-27-2012, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much!!

I have that book on my Kindle, slowly working my way through it, just finished the newborn chapter so I'll be starting the infant chapter. I do like how flexible it lays out EC because I'm thinking trying the one less diaper approach would work for us. I've held her over the toilet and sink several times and she no longer cries, but no potty action. I think she's just uncomfortable. I'll try searching different types of holds.

I was able to watch her pee on the changing table and make the cuing noise since I did stuff all my diapers and put them away, lol. I also made little grunts when she pooped and she gave me the funniest look, it was so cute! I think we'll do more diaper free time just hanging out around the house, I have several water proof pads that would work.

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."

Tags
Elimination Communication

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page