restarting EC with my almost 1-year-old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-05-2012, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

We practiced EC when my dd was around 3-6 months, before she became mobile. It was easier then to catch pees and poops when she was eliminating pretty regularly at that time. Once she started crawling, it became difficult to position her because she didn't like being interrupted in whatever she was doing, and always resisted underwear changes. It wore me out so much, I gave up EC. She wears tiny undies with some padding these days, and as far as I could tell, being wet never bothered her. I still cue whenever I see her peeing, and cue when she's with me in the bathroom. I don't know how much she associates it with eliminating, however.

Well, now she's almost walking and peeing less frequently, and I'm hoping we could start EC again. Is it possible? How should I start?

single mama to dd (June 2011)
#2 due December 2014!
#2 of 3 Old 06-06-2012, 05:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It is absolutely possible. In fact I hadn't started EC until DD was 11 months old. I started taking her into the bathroom and sitting her down on the geound with a toy when i had to go. Next i got her a bb potty chair and started putting her on it while I had to go. After a few days we had a catch and we went from there. Now there are days when she will resist the potty so I don't push. She doesn't signal consistently so I take her on a schedule more or less. There are still lots of diapers to wash but poo is usually on the potty and on a good day we catch 4 or 5 pees. First thing in the morning, after naps and when I have to go as well seem to be the most reliable. I think it would be great to reintroduce the potty before LO starts walking. Walking set us back a bit too around 13 months. The only times I interrupt her activities to potty are if she gives me the poop face and if I have to go, I can't leave her unsupervised. I try to talk through it as much as possible to help her learn the words. She is 14 months old now and if I time it right, she will go in public washrooms or at other people's homes.

I think your LO will pick it up again fine. She is nearing the year mark and my DD started to want things her way soon after her birthday so try not to push if baby resists. At the worst of it, a two day break from the potty did the trick. Good luck!
#3 of 3 Old 06-06-2012, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

shycheattraffic-- your reply is very encouraging! I bought a potty for her when she was able to sit up, but she doesn't like sitting on it for some reason. Maybe the plastic is cold? Anyway, I'll put it in the bathroom and take her with me, and see how it goes. She likes to imitate everything nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycheattraffic View Post

It is absolutely possible. In fact I hadn't started EC until DD was 11 months old. I started taking her into the bathroom and sitting her down on the geound with a toy when i had to go. Next i got her a bb potty chair and started putting her on it while I had to go. After a few days we had a catch and we went from there. Now there are days when she will resist the potty so I don't push. She doesn't signal consistently so I take her on a schedule more or less. There are still lots of diapers to wash but poo is usually on the potty and on a good day we catch 4 or 5 pees. First thing in the morning, after naps and when I have to go as well seem to be the most reliable. I think it would be great to reintroduce the potty before LO starts walking. Walking set us back a bit too around 13 months. The only times I interrupt her activities to potty are if she gives me the poop face and if I have to go, I can't leave her unsupervised. I try to talk through it as much as possible to help her learn the words. She is 14 months old now and if I time it right, she will go in public washrooms or at other people's homes.
I think your LO will pick it up again fine. She is nearing the year mark and my DD started to want things her way soon after her birthday so try not to push if baby resists. At the worst of it, a two day break from the potty did the trick. Good luck!

single mama to dd (June 2011)
#2 due December 2014!

Tags
Elimination Communication

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page