Frustration over poop misses - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-15-2012, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One of my favorite things about EC is that we rarely have to deal with poopy diapers. Hooray! orngbiggrin.gif

Unfortunately, for me that means that when we do have a poopy diaper I often end up feeling very frustrated, and I get cranky about not having been better at reading his signals. I understand intellectually that I am extremely lucky to be only occasionally dealing with poopy diaper clean-up, but at the moment that I'm having to do it I just feel annoyed. redface.gif Any wise words for me?

Thanks.

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 06-15-2012, 07:07 PM

Well, not really for words of wisdom... Poop happens and sometimes it's cloaked: stealth poop. My 14 month old (EC since 11 months) skipped a day or two recently and since she's eating solids well, I got concerned about possible constipation. Out with dairy, in with more fresh fruit and veggie and problem solved. The only issue is that she went from nice, convenient, roll off the diap/out of the potty poops back to making toothpaste eyesroll.gif . I was watching for the concentration, pushing, poopface but none showed! The poop was effortless and so completely on the down low: steathpoop. I guess look on the bright side: at least your LO isn't constipated. When I'm annoyed by little things, I try looking on the bright side joy.gif
#3 of 6 Old 06-15-2012, 07:13 PM

Haha, I'm sorry, more grains? Or moderation when introducing new foods? We got some grapes that Shay decided were the greatest. Well, he thinks he is passing gas and I get to mop.

So, the bright side is that your baby is going in a diaper.

It probably has nothing to do with you missing signs and everything to do with him adjusting to new foods he is eating.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#4 of 6 Old 06-16-2012, 02:54 PM

I try to think about it by counting catches, not misses. If my son goes in the potty 2x/day (and really, he does waaaay better than that, even during not-so-good times...and now he's nearly a grad!), then I save washing OVER SEVEN HUNDRED DIAPERS A YEAR.

Yeah, do that math. 

So that's how I keep from getting frustrated during times when there's suddenly lots of poo in diapers.

Oh, and also, it does always pass, and suddenly (usually when I'm just about to say heck with it!) he starts getting it all in the potty all the time.

Do you have a diaper sprayer? They really took the ick factor out of cloth diapering for me (assuming you're using cloth), and they're nice for rinsing out a potty.

Mama to Silas Anansi, born 9/9/10 and Petra Eadaion, born 10/1/12.

#5 of 6 Old 06-16-2012, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for these encouraging replies. I really appreciate hearing that this is normal, it will pass, it may just be part of starting solids, etc. Thank you!

I love all your bright sides for me:
at least it is in the diaper, not on the floor
at least I'm still catching some, and saving having to wash some diapers
at least he's not constipated!

Thanks! orngbiggrin.gif

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#6 of 6 Old 06-22-2012, 07:15 PM

Well. Number one is to remember EC is really not about your convenience at all. It's about what makes your child most comfortable. Even it that comfort of not pooping in the potty at that moment is what happens. It's a communication between the two of you.

Don't get frustrated or that could lead to other potty issues. Some misses will happen. Maybe your expectations are too high to be upset when you have a miss? Remember too that it's not about your feelings. Don't let how you feel get involved with the EC and don't let baby feel your upset over a miss.

Tags
Elimination Communication

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page