4 month old not giving me "pee" cues - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-05-2012, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We've been doing EC with our little guy since he was 3 weeks old.  Lately he's stopped giving us cues when he needs to pee.  He used to have pretty obvious cues when he had to go...squirming or fussiness.  He still tells us when he has to poop, but isn't making a peep when he pees.  Some of the time, I will instinctively know when he has to go and I'll take him, but my husband is getting frustrated and tired of getting peed on.

We did recently move and it's been a bit chaotic, so I can see how he might regress a bit.  He's also been wearing a diaper more because of the move.  Now that life is slowing down and getting back to normal, will he start cuing again?  Is there anything I can do to get him to start cuing?  When we are home, he's diaperless again. 

Thanks!

#2 of 2 Old 07-10-2012, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Around 4 - 5 months our little guy was more consistent with blowing raspberries as a cue.  It was a sound he could make easily and tho he frequently gave false alarms, it worked well for us.

Extra diaper time does seem to lead to kids who are more willing to pee on parents.  Kids who pee on parents get more diaper time. It's a vicious cycle.  My babies have been better about holding it when they're upright than when they're laying down.  When we have a lot of misses, I try to put my guy in the sling (on my hip, but on your front and facing in would work, too) until he gets fussy.  I notice his signals a lot more when he's right in my face like that and he is more willing to signal then. My guy wanted desperately to sit, roll and crawl at that age. He peed on the floor often while he was learning those skills.  When he was slung, his signal that he needed to pee was often that he would reach for things on the floor and act like he wanted me to put him down.  If I put him down, he would pee on the floor,so I learned to take him potty before I set him down (we still had lots of floor misses at that age, learning to engage abdominals tends to push pee out).  We also started having more toys around the potty, so he could hang onto/chew on something while he relaxed to go.

Good luck

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1

Tags
Elimination Communication

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page