Regression in an EC'ed child- what to do? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 08-05-2012, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My little guy will be 3 in a month and has been out of diaper since January.  We ECed from birth.  I had a baby almost 2 months ago and he is also ECed.  In the last few weeks, ds has been having more and more 'accidents' each day and is now wetting the bed almost every night.  I know that potty regression can happen when you have a new baby but I had thought that that wouldn't happen with an ECed kid and especially since he sees his baby brother pee on the potty.  My oldest boy (6) didn't regress at all when his brother was born and once he was out of diapers, he was out and only had a handful of accidents and has almost never wet the bed.

Has anyone else had an older toddler who was out of diapers and then started having tons of misses?  What is the best way to deal with this?  I have started putting pull ups on him at night and some days I am tempted to put them on him during the day because it gets tiring cleaning up so much pee messes.  But I really don't want to do that.  Do I just have to wait out this phase?

#2 of 2 Old 08-06-2012, 12:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How long has he been having 'accidents'?  Can you let him be pantless?  Where does he sleep?

My son is almost 2 1/2 (part time ECed) and we cut out the pull ups at night five months ago.  He did really well for a long while and then started wetting the bed out of nowhere.  At first I put a prefold on him, hoping that since he could still feel it he would not want to pee on himself.  But as soon as I did, he said "Ahhhhh!  Diapers are for peepee."  And proceeded to do just that in the prefold.  That was the end of that experiment!  DS sleeps in a modified futon attached to our bed.  After the diaper misstep, we talked to him a couple of times about peeing at night (who knows what he thought of our elaborate explanations and examples).  Then I put extra sheets near the bed, just in case and we talked about that too, and we put a pot at the foot of his bed.  Before I go to sleep, I potty him (unless he is in a deep sleep, or I fall asleep shortly after him).  My DP leaves for work around 5am and does the same.  We were really vigilant about pottying him for a couple of weeks and just get more and more lax about it.  He hates it when he does wet and wakes up upset.  So, we tried to use that to explain to him how we stay dry and comfortable by getting up and using the pot if we need to, even in the middle of the night.  He seems to like that (like this is something cool our family does together)!

We have only had one phase of daytime regression.  We just took his pants off and that seemed to solve most of it.  Also, we gave him the option of peeing outside.  Honestly, he always had that option, but we would frequently ask him if he would rather use the inside potty, or pee outside.  Or sometimes:  Have you peed on that tree in the backyard before?  Then he'd usually run out the door to go pee on things!

Mostly, I would try and stay as even keeled as possible.  Keep cleaning up the messes and get a little creative about pottying again (still better than changing diapers, right?) 

Tags
Elimination Communication

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page