trying to pick it up again at 1yo - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-06-2012, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

hello there mamas!

I started doing EC with DS at about 3 months but when he started waking every hour at night, I have to admit, I was just too tired to deal with it and just kept him in diapers most of the time and then started to try again around 10m.  He's 13 months now and we do diaper free time everyday and he sits on the potty but will not do anything in it.  But he'll go all day on the floor, especially right after I try the potty and made the psss sound. I've tried catching him mid stream or grunt and putting him on but he gets upset and refuses to sit.  He only wants to sit on his terms.  I take him to the bathroom with me and tell him the phrases we use for him such as "mama go peepee on the potty".  I dont know if I just missed the EC window or what but I would love to get him going again.  Any suggestions?  All are appreciated :)  much love!

#2 of 3 Old 08-06-2012, 05:19 PM

I started DD at 11 months and things were going well but 13 months was an all out potty pause for us. She just started walking and was transitioning into toddlerhood by asserting her independence. Potty time was a fight so I let it go for a while. I still popped her on but it was over as soon as she got up. I tried toys, books, singing, etc and nothing kept her on for about two weeks. I quickly went down to only putting her on first thing in the morning and right after her nap. Then out of the blue, she started sitting for me and using the potty again. I've increased the frequency from there and we are going strong now at 16 months. Maybe your LO is hitting a big milestone too at this age and is in a contrary phase. I would keep potty part of the routine once or twice a day but let it be on his terms. My girl went from a major contrary phase into a big mimic phase. Now she is trying to brush her hair, wear my shoes, feed herself with a spoon and all of a sudden the potty is in again. Good luck! I would ride it out for a while and keep offering opportunities in a low pressure way. Hope that helps :-)
#3 of 3 Old 08-06-2012, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your response!  Yes, it does help..he just started walking a month ago and certain things he wont do for me so it sounds like you're right.  I think I'm gonna try in the morning and after naps like you said :)

Tags
Elimination Communication

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page