Angry 24MO peeing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-12-2012, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For the past month my 24MO DS has developed an unwelcome skill.  He doesn't wear a diaper at home but is pretty reliable using his potty.  When he becomes upset or angry he pees and it's irritating.  What does one do in this circumstance?

#2 of 5 Old 09-16-2012, 05:05 PM

i would think the most productive thing here is to help him find a better way to express his frustrations or anger. toddlers are often feeling very out of control and that must be hard. I'm not sure how verbal your is yet, but he simple might not be able to understand or express all that is churning up in him and all toddlers.

good luck

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#3 of 5 Old 09-17-2012, 10:01 PM

As I've said elsewhere, above all: don't let it be a battlefield! If you are annoyed, talk about it on the forum all day, but don't get annoyed when it happens! Maintain complete calm, above all, talk about it in a peaceful way, and since you are pretty sure it is about his anger, talk about his feelings. Help him learn to name his feeling, and learn ways to express himself. i.e.: "Hey, you put your pee on the floor. You look very angry right now- are you feeling angry? Sometimes when I'm angry I like to... throw pillows at the wall!" Then do it! Or something else silly and fun that can help get our anger out. Invite him to do it with you. When I do this with my son, we always end up having a lot of fun. And you can try to figure out why he's angry- you probably know right? "are you angry because I wouldn't let you xyz?" Sometimes all it takes is acknowledging his feelings and the cause of them and he can be done with them. In this situation, unless you have other kids who are about to crawl through the puddle, I would actually try to address his feelings before doing anything about the pee. His anger is what needs to be addressed. Clean up the pee after your done talking about his feelings and throwing stuffed animals off the bed.

"That's the way it is, if that's the way it seems to you."

"Cosi e se vi pare."

Luigi Pirandello

#4 of 5 Old 09-18-2012, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Agreed!  thank you for the suggestions!  What a way to take the edge off of me on the verge of screaming but bottling it fuming.  What a great way to talk myself off the cliff while teaching my DS not to angry pee on the floor. 

#5 of 5 Old 10-03-2012, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter

An update

My DS had his Dr visit and I asked her what to do about "angry peeing."  She told me to discipline him whenever he does it give him a timeout.  So I've doing this for the past 24 hours and so far it is working.  My greatest fear with disciplining him for "peeing" is that it would set him back in "pt."  She told me that is not the case since he uses and knows what a potty is for.  He is forcing himself to pee for attention "negative that is!"  Big difference. 

Tags
Elimination Communication

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page