Mothering Forum banner

18 month old... Considering ditching diapers at home. Would love input.

831 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  milk monster 
#1 ·
We've done part time EC with DD (now just shy of 19 months) since she was 11 months old. At 12 months we switched from sposies to cloth and now use mostly pockets. She is great with using the potty when I time it right and will even pee in public toilets if I hold her on the seat and she needs to go. She drinks lots of water and nurses frequently so pees often and a lot. From time to time her diapers leak, her pants get wet and she says "buuuuum" while clutching her crotch or bum to tell me she needs a change. I am considering using underwear and pants around the house to give her this wet feeling each time she pees and encourage her to use the potty more. While we are out, I would stick to diapers until she is more consistent at home so I wouldn't need to bring seven changes of clothes and three carseats for an afternoon lol. I'm thrilled that she dislikes being wet and thought I'd build on that. Any thoughts/suggestions would be most welcome. We live in an old drafty house with mostly carpet so I don't think the naked method would be practical - some mornings are already bitterly cold around here.

#2 ·
I've never tried the EC, but I can say that using underwear at home and diapers on the run are awesome for potty training. My first daughter potty trained this way at 16 months. (don't get too excited, she was the only one out of 4 who PT before 2 yrs.) I actually remember being able to bring her out and about with only undies on at 16 months. Everyone thought I was sooo brave. But I simply didn't see the need to put a diaper on my daughter who hardly ever had accidents :)

I actually have a rule now with my 30 month old who refuses to potty at home, but fusses to go when we are in public. No public potties until you can use the potty at home!

#4 ·
I only have wool soakers but I've discovered that the fleecy pants from Carter's I have do a pretty ok job too. This week is kind of busy but I think I'll take the plunge next week. Yesterday she told me when she needed to poop and this morning she told me she needed to pee - and the diaper was bone dry - okay she said "bum" both times but she held it for a minute :).
joy.gif

Needless to say, I'm cautiously optimistic.

#5 ·
We tried the absorbent undies at first, but found them counterproductive, sending mixed messages the way pull-ups do (i.e."You *could* go in your undies, but don't."). They didn't work out too well, but as soon as we got him toddler boxer briefs--that is, undies that look just like daddy's--we were off to the races. He knew he shouldn't pee in cotton undies. Not to say he never does--there are accidents--but he knew right away that cotton undies weren't diapers and he should try to go in a potty when he's wearing them.

I wouldn't worry too much about your carpets. Our son has been in undies since 16 months (now 20 months old). We find that pee am poop accidents don't end up on the floor, couch or carpet unless he's naked. If he's is wearing undies and pants, any accident is pretty much contained in his clothes. It means plenty of costume changes, but carrying extra pants and undies is standard for toddlers no matter how they potty train. Also, pee and poop wash away with soap and water, and don't stain.

A useful trick we learned for pee leaks: if it's somewhere you can't wash right away, like a carpet or your bed in the middle of the night, a spritz from a spray bottle filled with 50% vinegar, 50% water will make any pee smell disappear for as long as you need until you can wash it.

I'd say, don't be scared of the mess. There are messes, but not as often as you might think, and they're no harder to deal with than a diaper change is!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.