Just an idea - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-13-2012, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Have you ever wondered why so many parents are upset that they have spoiled kids but they don't seem willing to do anything about it (discipline, chores, etc)

I certainly don't think I treat my kids badly, but I do think it's good to be strict sometimes, going all the way back to potty training.

No, I don't think I'd want my kids doing chores before they were 3 years old, but it's good to start somewhere, and a good place to start is potty training, that's what lead me to elimination communication.

But just for instance, let's look at the name of two different products, one for toddlers who are diapered and another for babies on the potty.

Of course we all the know the brand of diapers; "Pampers". Just the name alone. I know they're just babies, but the name alone says a lot. We're "pampering" our kids from birth and it never stops.

Now on the other hand, let's look at the name of one of the EC training pants I've happened upon; "Born Ready". This product has a name that suggests that we don't have to hold back with our kids, that they are ready to be potty trained and take the first step towards responsibility.

Now I know I'm just talking about names of products, but it really makes you think, doesn't it? You have to start somewhere if you wanna get your kids on the right track, and I think potty training is the best start.

It basically comes down to this. Do you want to raise a spoiled kid? Of course not. So what product do you think would be better (by the name alone) for raising a responsible child from birth? Pampers, or Born Ready? thumb.gif

#2 of 3 Old 11-13-2012, 08:39 AM

That's very interesting about marketing for the PT/EC crowd. We are a late start EC family: DD was 11 months when I started her off part time and use cloth diaper backup. Now she's 19 months and has started saying "bum" when she needs to go or just went in her diaper. It's not 100% yet and I still use backup but I think she is really starting to put it together. My hunch is that she will probably become a graduate by her second birthday.
About chores, etc I do agree that hygiene is the first thing a child should be responsible for - not without support or assistance as needed of course. While we work on that, I indulge every helpful whim she has as much as I humanly can, even if it takes longer to complete the task. When I peel potatoes, she hands me an intact potato to peel and puts the peeled potato in the bowl for me. When we are getting groceries, she puts the produce in bags and other small items in the cart. When I cook, she adds the seasoning to the dish. I'm terrible with household chores and I honestly think part of it is that I didn't really grow up doing much. My (wonderful) mom was usually tense and frazzled and just quickly did it herself instead of letting me help. I'm trying a different approach, hoping for a different outcome. She's great at putting her blocks, etc in the baskets but usually dumps them out again before running off. Well,, it's a work in progress; much like my ongoing efforts to declutter. Long story short, I aim to do my best to teach her about responsibility but for now I'm happy that she likes to help - in any capacity she is capable of :-)
#3 of 3 Old 11-17-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexx19 View Post

I certainly don't think I treat my kids badly, but I do think it's good to be strict sometimes, going all the way back to potty training.

I see elimination communication as an open line of communication. I see it as flexible rather than strict.  

I also don't think most children are spoiled, though I have witnessed some communicate inappropriately for the situation.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1

Tags
Elimination Communication

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page