Getting started with 14 month old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-10-2012, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Looking for any thoughts/advice/support/etc since we are just starting after reading Diaper Free Baby from the library. 

She HATES getting her diaper changed and her bum wiped.  She seems to catch on fast to most things like giving me her toothbrush when she's done, helping to clean up a bit, kicking a ball, etc. Much faster than I expected anyway.   So that's why I figured we'd try this - plus I feel TERRIBLE about letting her go in her own pants for so long now. 

We've made some pee catches in potties the past few days.  Just none the other day when LO wasn't feeling well.  But she willingly sat on her potty later that day a few times - just no pees.  The most on a day she spent the most time out of diapers. 

She likes sitting on her own potty while we read books most of the time when offered.  Just not right upon waking from overnight or naps. 

The few times we've had "misses" she becomes visibly upset and/or scared if it's a lot of pee and if it's on a non-carpeted floor.  Maybe it's the noise that startles her and or the feeling?  The few times she's gone in the potty it seems to surprise her and she'll go a little bit then kind of hop up and want to run away.  Maybe I will put some paper towels or cloth in the bottom of the potty so it doesn't make a startling noise for her. 

We've been using disposables but just ordered a small stash of cloth diaper supplies since that will help her feel wetter when needed. 

I'm planning to let her go diaperless or in a loose cloth diaper as much as possible when it's just her and I at home.  I'm a SAHM who teaches yoga once a week and likes to go to the gym to exercise 1-2 mornings a week so that would be the only time she'd be in a diaper besides running errands or when daddy's home in the evenings and on weekends - shhh!  Don't tell :-)  (he's not as keen on the diaper-free stuff - mostly due to accidents.  Still trying to convince him.)

I use cueing sounds and ASL for toilet when she goes and when I go and I nag daddy to do the same. 

Any thoughts or advice are greatly appreciated since there's not a local group I can go to like LLL or babywearing.  Does it seem like my daughter has still retained some aversion to soiling herself?  And is there anyway I can encourage her to sit on the potty upon awakening?

Wish I'd started EC sooner when I read about it for the first time 2-3 months ago.  I almost wanted to start a month ago when she had some random "accidents" before bathtime while visiting family who have a fairly messy, hoarder-ish house because it's almost like she knew it wouldn't matter if she peed (because there was still a dog and dog pee smell in the house and the dog has been gone for almost 2 months!) and it never happened before or after our visit. 

THANKS for your time, help, and support!

#2 of 4 Old 12-10-2012, 10:05 AM

I think that 14 mos is too late to start EC, but I do think you could look for resources on early potty learning.  I think there is a Supporter who posts here regularly that has info on resources for that.  Some EC techniques would likely be helpful in regards to early potty learning as well.  I would start with using cloth as much as possible (or naked is even better as you are doing) and I would offer for her to use the potty at "peak" times (shortly after eating or drinking, on first waking, if it's been an hour since she last went) and I would communicate to her about what is happening (she'll be learning to talk soon so I think saying pee pee or poo poo when she goes along with teaching the ASL signs would be good.)  Also, communicate to her that if she lets you know when she needs to go, you will take her.

My sis also PT'd really early because she hated to be dirty/soil her diaper.  My mom didn't do anything in particular except make the potty as accessable as possible and make it as easy as possible for my sis to use it.  So maybe your DD will just be a natural!

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#3 of 4 Old 12-10-2012, 10:09 AM

Don't feel terrible.

It sounds like you're having a great start.

We sit on the potty and read books and sing songs first thing every morning. Not required, but that's where I am. In the bathroom next to the potties with the books and the songs  and I sit there for a bit and the girls can play along or not. They would generally rather play along.

#4 of 4 Old 02-02-2013, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your feedback!  She now sits on the potty a lot althought we don't get too many catches yet.  We've had a few pees on there where she tells us beforehand.   And she now understands cue words, cue sounds, and sometimes the sign for potty. 

Tags
Elimination Communication

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page