Getting ready for baby...help needed!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-18-2012, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I still have at least 16 weeks till baby comes (I am 22 1/2 weeks now)...but I am already working on a registry for people who ask what we might need...being as there will be almost four years between kiddos and this one being a girl (Bug is a little dude). For someone who plans on starting cloth diapering/EC-ing once we are past the meconium stage (and who only used disposables/did part-time EC from 6 months with Bug)...what are the recommended basics to have on hand? I don't want to use wool, but other than that...I am pretty open to whatever. Cheaper is better, though...as funds are tight-ish.

Would ya'll do a diaper kit (that has the prefolds, covers, and sometimes extras like liners or a wet bag)...and if so, would you use Econobum, Real Nappies, or Bummis?

I already added a potty bowl, PUL pads, and some Ecapants to my registry...still need to add some Snappis. I also added some Alva diapers for when we are out away from home, cause I don't know how much EC-ing we will be doing while out and about (but then, we are mostly home).

Married to my computer geek since 11.04.06. Mama to our little dude Bug (born 7.14.09, peanut allergy, asthma) and our rainbow baby girl Sweetpea (born 4.14.13). Forever missing my angel babies--Riley, Paisley, and Waverley!!

Decluttering my life...

#2 of 4 Old 12-18-2012, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Honestly, in my experience it depends on the baby.  I cloth diapered my son starting from a week or two old.  He did fantastic in Bummis and Imse Vimse covers and prefolds.  When his sister was born I expected to continue with his stash but her skin was more sensitive and she kept getting rashes until we switched entirely to pocket diapers.  Fuzzi Bunz are by far my favorite pocket diaper.  I'm not very familiar with their new one sized ones, though.  (I was never too impressed by one sized diapers though, in general.)  I guess the best thing to do is have the bare minium to get started but don't invest too much money until you know what works.  To start off look at your budget then get two days worth of diapers.  It's been so long since I've had a newborn but I think you change them about 10 times a day.  So you'll need 20 diaper changes.  Of course if you use Bummis or Imse Vimse you can let the cover air dry between changes.  Pocket diapers are one use/one wash.  How about 5 pockets and 8 covers and as many chinese prefolds as you can afford. 

Wow.  I just looked at my favorite cloth diapering store, where I bought 90% of all my kids' diapers.  They make prefolds with micro-seude now.  I wish they'd had that when my daughter was born!  LOL.  http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com/products/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=13471&idcategory=11

Reneé, 34 year old mom to Antonin 8/04 and Arianna 9/06  (6 weeks) 5/08. Married to Matt since 6/03 .  
#3 of 4 Old 12-19-2012, 05:21 AM

I agree to only get up to size small. You will get a feel for what you like. And what works for your babe. We started with all Velcro covers and a really skinny baby who got scratched by the Velcro. Now we have FB and a wiggly baby who makes me curse snaps.

Also, if you are rocking EC and want to move straight from smalls to training pants, you'll be happy that you still have that room in your budget.

We use a combination of undies, trainers, fitteds, flats and prefolds covered by FB or longies (fleece sweats are awesome if you don't like wool) or held on with an elastic belt. Most of ours are homemade or hand me downs so we have almost no money in diapering our boys. We use a couple of 5 gallon buckets at home for diaper laundry. A wetbag for the diaper bag is nice to have. We used plastic grocery bags for almost a year, but reusable wetbags are nicer (lol, ours are made from fused plastic bags, I really am cheap).

A little potty is nice in the beginning and for nights. We mostly use the toilet now.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#4 of 4 Old 12-19-2012, 06:15 PM

I agree with not buying alot at first. You really should try a couple of different brands and types to figure out what works best for you and your babe. I have been using bumgenius and fuzzibunz pocket diapers during the day. At night i use hemp and thirsties covers. A wet bag is a good idea too. Make sure you have a good detergent for the diapers as well. You may also want some washcloths or something to use as wipes. I have a diaper squirter that makes life a lot easier.

Tags
Elimination Communication

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page