Almost "there", and then not! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-22-2012, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

OK, I know this is totally not the way to think of it. ;) 

DD is 20 months tomorrow. She's been out of diapers while awake (nighttime is another issue) for several months, even out and about. We had misses but not too many. It fluctuated, of course, but in general I felt like we were pretty close to "graduating". A few weeks ago we had to go to the city and I had to be in hospital for the day, which she handled very well, to my surprise, except she wasn't peeing in the potty at all. And we just thought "things are really strange, once we get home and normal things will get back to the way they were" but they pretty much haven't. We're going with the flow, of course! She's wearing diapers much more. She will pee in the toilet, but is also having many many "misses". I'm trying to focus on communication. DD is a big talker but it's been quite a while since she told me she had to pee or poop. (when she goes in the toilet it is simply because I give her the opportunity) I've been saying "You can tell Mummy when you need to pee and we'll go to the toilet" and so on but she just doesn't seem into it. I actually think she does understand a lot of that, but that for some reason she just doesn't want to go. I know this kind of change is normal and to just not worry and relax about it and things will take their course, but I guess I'm just looking to be reassured... 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 12-22-2012, 07:06 PM

She will be done soon. Some kids have a wet spell right before they graduate. Keep talking to her about it and see if you can't get away from diapers again.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#3 of 5 Old 12-23-2012, 09:03 PM

Is she maybe trying to hold it for a super long time? (try a no dipes day to see how long she's going?) My DS had a period right after we thought he'd graduated where he just realized it was something HE could control, and only he. He was kind of experimenting with what would happen if he just didn't go... I thought he had a bladder infection because finally it would start to dribble out, and here I'd considered him graduated for a few months. So I freaked out and took him to the doc and had a UA and all which was clean of course, and then I just had to stifle my extreme frustration and let him make his experiments and clean up some pee again for maybe a couple of weeks, or a month? Don't remember exactly, but the moral of the story is, as Seraf says, she's right there! Try to take encouragement from that belief, some deep breaths, fear not, get rid of the dipes, have the pee spray handy, and relax as best as you're able:) Yes, yes, yes, be reassured... she's right there.

"That's the way it is, if that's the way it seems to you."

"Cosi e se vi pare."

Luigi Pirandello

#4 of 5 Old 12-23-2012, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Great advice from others!  I am in this same place too and finding it SO HARD to keep my mouth shut and let her be in charge.  I'm not actually, I still offer hide.gif because she still doesn't tell me reliably on her own.  What seemed to help her a bit to "get back on the horse" a bit was to get some potty books out from the library and read those.  She liked them a bunch, and it seemed to get her interested in it again (some).  Good luck!  It's normal.  This too shall pass.  All of that.  For both of us redface.gif

Mama to Nell (11/15/06) and Maggie (10/9/10) . AFTER 2.5 YEARS, I AM AN AUNTIE!!! joy.gifHOORAY TEAR78 and welcome Anika and Brand New Baby Boy!!!!  Circumcision: the more you know, the worse it is; please leave the decision up to your son!

#5 of 5 Old 12-30-2012, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

thanks!! SO much! Sorry for the delayed response.

I will take all your advice! And even if she is not "right there" I'm going to relax and not focus as much on the "finish line", since of course that isn't what it's about. I'll try the books and talking and....waiting!

Also, it is a good reminder to me to check in here. I'd been sort of absent since things seemed pretty straight forward, but as I'm alone in ECing among friends, it helps to talk a bit with others who know what I'm talking about! 

We are still having a lot of wet diapers (though I am trying a bit more with underwear, and will tomorrow maybe try undies completely again (as long as we have power after this storm....I don't fancy going through all her clothing if not) and just go for it.

thanks again. :)

Tags
Elimination Communication

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page