19 month old won't pee in toilet - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-17-2013, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

My dd is 19 months now and diaper-free during the day. She used to hold her crotch before she eliminates, now she doesn't, but points to her puddles after she's gone. When we're out and about, I take her to the bathroom with me whenever I need to go, and 9/10 times she pees too. But for some reason, she won't pee in the toilet. She says no no no when I sit her on the bowl. Then she will pee the moment she's back on the floor. She pees standing. Sometimes, she doesn't want to pee when her undies are removed. She insists that I put them back on her before she pees. She refuses to sit on the potty. I'm confused about what to do... how to encourage her to use the toilet? 

single mama to dd (June 2011)
#2 due December 2014!
#2 of 6 Old 01-17-2013, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My oldest liked to stand on the seat and pee into the bowl. We added dish soap so it made bubbles. My guess is just that she is working out that she is in control of her own body, so try not to fight. I stand my toddler in the bathtub when I know he needs to go but isn't into the toilet.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#3 of 6 Old 01-17-2013, 05:46 PM

You might need to get her her own potty to use on ground level. Also, toilets are completely foreign to kids. Humans were naturally designed to squat to eliminate, kids know this. Often at times, standing and squatting down feels better to them than sitting on the big toilet.

#4 of 6 Old 01-17-2013, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraf View Post

My oldest liked to stand on the seat and pee into the bowl. We added dish soap so it made bubbles. My guess is just that she is working out that she is in control of her own body, so try not to fight. I stand my toddler in the bathtub when I know he needs to go but isn't into the toilet.

That's a good idea... my dd usually pees on the floor in front of the toilet. It seems that she can hold her pee until she's at a place where she's comfortable. 

#2 due December 2014!
#5 of 6 Old 01-17-2013, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoSoul View Post

You might need to get her her own potty to use on ground level. Also, toilets are completely foreign to kids. Humans were naturally designed to squat to eliminate, kids know this. Often at times, standing and squatting down feels better to them than sitting on the big toilet.

It's interesting you mention this. A few months ago, when we were still in India and our home toilet was a squatting type, dd was squatting to pee (outside the bathroom, though). Since moving away back to western toilets, she's stopped squatting.

#2 due December 2014!
#6 of 6 Old 01-17-2013, 09:02 PM

If she's standing to pee- you might be able to hold a yogurt container for her to pee into, or any kind of wide-mouth container (I used to pee into a plastic pringles jar when deployed-so I know it is possible!). This works great for boys, but might work for your DD too since she's into standing right now. Probably you'll figure out where the stream will go after a time or two... I wouldn't worry about where she goes right now, not on the floor is good enough! In a few more months she is going to want to do it wherever you do. My son started to insist on peeing standing up in front of the big toilet "just like Daddy" at around age 2. Even though he has to stand on his tiptoes and can barely get his stuff up high enough to do it that way, at a certain point they start to really want to follow the role model. (Hmmm, maybe your daughter is wanting to be more like her Dad!)

"That's the way it is, if that's the way it seems to you."

"Cosi e se vi pare."

Luigi Pirandello

Tags
Elimination Communication

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page