Potty training question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-18-2013, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We use cloth diapers. My almost two year old hates wearing a diaper and having diaper changes but isn't willing to sit on the potty. So where do I go from here? Ditch the diapers and get training pants? Will that make a difference? Any suggestions are welcomed. smile.gif
#2 of 8 Old 02-18-2013, 06:07 PM

The general rule of thumb is to try diaper free time for a while. Bare butt or trousers (no knickers, no training pants). But I'm in your same boat.

#3 of 8 Old 02-19-2013, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I was just going to post pretty much this exact question.

My 3yo started using the toilet in October and is doing fantastically-- still some accidents and a wet bed a couple of times a week, but otherwise no big deal.  Yay!

My 2yo (almost 28 months), on the other hand, is fighting every diaper change TOOTH AND NAIL and between wanting to respect what he wants for his own body and practical concerns (with all the kicking and flailing, it's not like he was getting clean or anything around him was staying clean, you know?), I've given up putting him in diapers.  But he HATES the idea of using the toilet.  He wants NOTHING to do with it.  He also hates getting dirty, so doing the bare-butt thing has been tough on him, too, because his feet inevitably get the worst of it.  I'm at a loss.  We talk about what his body is doing when he eliminates, we have him involved in doing the cleanup, he sees his brother using the toilet consistently and fearlessly, he is interested in the toilet, but he will not actually sit on it.  I've tried having him stand on the seat while I hold him, and holding him over it as securely as I can (he's wiggly) facing out, but nothing is working.

I do have hardwood floors, so I can just keep cleaning up after him for a while, but I'm also due with our new baby in April, so there is a time limit on my ability to follow him around with a rag...

#4 of 8 Old 02-20-2013, 10:02 AM

When we were in the early stages of transitioning from diapers to underware, i'd check with my son constantly, like every 20 minutes or when he was showing signs (pulling at his penis through his clothes or becoming quiet and shanding on his toes). He's two, so inevidably the answer'd be "no". So i'd ask if Bear needs to go, or whatever toy has his interest. This usually did the trick, Bear would "pee" first in his little potty and my son would follow. This did take constant supervision on my part, knowing when to ask, and when to simply plunk him on the potty and cue him to go.

Are you working with a little potty that's their size or just the toilet? MissAnthrope - sometimes my son prefers to stand and pee in the bath tub, that helps contain the pee when he insists on "pee like daddy".

A trick I used a lot when he was exclusively in diapers and fighting a change was to master putting them on while DS is standing. I'd direct his attention out a window ("do you see a truck? What color was it" etc) and wrap him up. This worked amazingly well!

As a side note, we've been taking a very casual approach to mastering the potty. We started in October, had a few regressions due to travel or illness, but are almost there! We alternate between underwear, cotton trainers, & diapers, but mostly use what he likes to wear - everything is at his level and he'll picks it out when it's time for clean bottoms. It's amazing how motivated he is to keep his Thomas & Friends undies dry because he loves them so much.

#5 of 8 Old 02-20-2013, 01:24 PM

You might get more response if you post in the toddler forum. :-)

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#6 of 8 Old 04-21-2013, 09:46 PM

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylab View Post

We use cloth diapers. My almost two year old hates wearing a diaper and having diaper changes but isn't willing to sit on the potty. So where do I go from here? Ditch the diapers and get training pants? Will that make a difference? Any suggestions are welcomed. smile.gif

what did you end up doing???? I need help!

#7 of 8 Old 04-22-2013, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyamber View Post

what did you end up doing???? I need help!

Daycare has been working on it (but she only goes twice a week). Peer pressure seems to work cause she will use the potty there. At home she still isn't interested. I am really not interested in bare bottom time and having to clean those messes. She seems to understand big girl vs baby things, so I am hoping we new baby comes (in 7 weeks) maybe she will want to ditch the diapers....
#8 of 8 Old 04-22-2013, 01:26 PM

can recommend this book and lady enough, she is straight forward, explains things great and a clearly caring mom with a good parenting style herself.

Oh Crap. Potty Training

she also talk a bit in her book and some on her blog about how having done EC interacts with potty training and how to make it work for you

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Tags
Elimination Communication

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page