Full time training pants - making the jump - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-20-2013, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our boys are 9 months and 15 months. The 15 month old has been in trainers away from home for a couple of weeks. I'm very pro-training pants but I've had a hard time convincing my partner. My olders were in trainers at 3 months, so I know it's not a big deal logistically, just psychologically. Now that both babies are big enough to stand while I offer the other a potty break out and about, it should be easier.

We are packing up the house to move and I brought it up again. "Hey, the diapers would make great packing material!" We have dozens of flats (and some prefolds, fitteds and FB that we have bad luck washing and mess with the 9 month old's skin - they're all being stripped and passed on) that are going to cushion our breakables. Hurray!

The compromise is that we will have two dozen pairs of non-waterproof trainers and half a dozen waterproof covers for when DP takes them out alone.

So far today we've had a wet and the start of a poo for each boy. Not bad at all.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#2 of 5 Old 02-21-2013, 05:28 AM

Is your question about how to convince your partner? Is he afraid that your boys might make a mess in public space?

My son started wearing underpants full time in and out at 12 months although he had some accidents.  We used to go out just to the park or to the supermarket for a short time, so it wasn't a big deal, but I decided to take him to a baby music class when he was 18 months and I was nervous because I was afraid that he might make a mess in the classroom.  We had only occasional misses by that time, but he was not yet communicating with me verbally.  I made sure that I take him to the bathroom as soon as we got to the class.  He peed most times unless he really didn't need to.  I became more and more confident about going out with him in underpants and we joined a playgroup which had 4 hour-long playdates when he was 21 months. 

I think your partner will feel secure if he makes sure to take the boys to the bathroom as soon as they get to places where they CANNOT have accidents. (class, friend's house, restaurant, etc.)  and offer toilet breaks consistently.

www.tinyundiesny.com

cotton underpants for diaper-free babies 3 months and up

#3 of 5 Old 02-21-2013, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing your experience. I totally agree about offering on arrival. It wasn't really a question. I just see so many reports of difficulties, I wanted to post our step forward.

#4 of 5 Old 02-22-2013, 10:00 AM

Way to go, Seraf! I'm impressed (and a little bit inspired!).

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#5 of 5 Old 03-13-2013, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter

Well, it hasn't been going spectacularly. The misses are not a big deal in training pants, but we're so busy and disorganized, there is a lot of distraction. Coupled with laundry problems and a stomach bug, I'm surprised we even kept them both in cloth the whole time.

Yesterday I only had the 16 month old at grandma's and the old house, so I recorded his every pee out of curiosity. We got up an hour early for an appointment, instead of his morning nursing, he woke up laughing about the big dog on the bed.

He peed in his nighttime diaper after we got out of bed but before we made it to the toilet.

We made it to the appointment a little early, pee in the pot. 8 am.

There was a break at 10, another pee in the pot.

At 12, an offer and a decline.

At 12:50, he was more than ready for a nap so I didn't even offer, miss.

At 2, he was a little tyrant still, so he went in his pants but finally went to sleep after I changed him.

He slept until 3:15, he was wet by the time the kids brought him to me (we were on different floors).

At 4:30 he declined my offer.

At 5 he wet while everyone was packing.

At 7:15, he declined my offer before our 1.5 hour car ride. He fell asleep in the first 5 miles and stayed dry until he wet his diaper at 6:30 this morning.

7:30, normal wake up time, he nursed, sat up, grabbed his diaper and said "boo!" So he pooped and peed in the toilet.

Little brother was up 10 minutes later and followed suit.

Tags
Elimination Communication

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page