15 mo old doesn't want to sit (or stand) to pee - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-23-2013, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

...he'll still only go in the newborn "in-arms" position.  We've tried for a good 9 months occasionally to get him to sit on his little baby bjorn potty and/or the toilet insert, as well as showing him that he can just pee standing up.  He gladly pees/poops every time we take him to potty, but he just doesn't like to sit down for some reason.  (Even riding on a little baby bike--he just wants to stand up instead of sitting on it... and never wanted to crawl, just wanted to start walking around when he was less than 6 months old (of course he COULDN'T walk back then--just got pissed off that he couldn't).)smile.gif 

Do you think we're just not trying often enough to break the in-arms habit, or does someone have any great ideas for showing how much fun sitting on a potty/toilet could be?

thanks!!

Me (35) namaste.gif and DH (36) guitar.gif and Sweet Baby Boy (Born 11-3-2011) diaper.gif

Expecting #2 on 1-18-2014! stork-suprise.gif

#2 of 4 Old 02-25-2013, 08:30 AM

My kids really liked the Once Upon a Potty video. It's a bunch of kids singing about going on a potty with video clips of them happily singing on the potty. Sounds silly, but it's a pretty catchy tune and kids seem to love it! Maybe just putting it on in the background? Or maybe try to get one of those little urinals that attach to the side of the potty so he can try standing and going himself. It hangs lower than the toilet, so he may be more inclined to try that? My son really loved the in arms position forever too. I know how they can get pretty heavy in that position at that age and older!

EC so easy with ecaPants!! ~the flip down, drop front, little learning pants

Check out FB for updates, 'seconds' sales, deal announcements, etc smile.gif

#3 of 4 Old 03-03-2013, 08:24 AM

Does he see other kids sitting on the potty/toilet? My DD has always wanted to do what we grownups do but for a loooong while diapering her was a nightmare. Then she saw her older cousin lay down calmly to get diapered and presto! I didn't have to chase her naked bum anymore. As an aside, we started part time EC around 11 months so there were lots of diapers for us.
#4 of 4 Old 03-14-2013, 02:07 AM

Do you have a potty cozy? It would help it feel more comfortable. I have a DIY potty cozy (from an old t-shirt) up on my blog if you want to go over there and do a quick search for it. Additionally I have a few posts in my 30 Days of Elimination Communication series that address refusal to sit. They are pretty thorough. I think that some boys like to stand and pee…or like to be held! My son wanted in-arms pottying in public til about 24 months…not easy on the back. We finally have him sitting on public toilets…not easy. But at home it did take some occasional gentle discipline, a few periods of toys (but I recommend against depending upon toys…it's potty time, not play time, right?). Hope some of these resources will help you. :)

Andrea Olson, DS 2.5 yrs, DD due 10/9/13

Author | EC Simplified: Infant Potty Training Made Easy

Owner | GoDiaperFree.com

[I teach parents of 0-20 month old babies how to stop diapering
full-time and how to avoid...

Tags
Elimination Communication

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page