Snap Cloth Diapers and EC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-19-2013, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So it seems like my cloth diaper collection is going to be all prefolds with snaps rather than velcro. I bought a few and then was gifted a whole hand-me-down stash. I just can't justify buying more when it's completely unneeded.

My question is: have you found it harder to do EC with snap covers? DH and I are talking about only doing prefolds with snappis while we are home and just putting a cover on when we are out. I'm also thinkng about getting.making an EC belt considering that half of my prefolds are Dappi, which seem to not do to well with snappis because of the super thin sides. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 03-19-2013, 10:01 PM

I found snaps to be a problem only at nighttime when I was tired and uncoordinated and trying to do them in the dark.

I could never get snappis to stay closed without the cover on top. Maybe just user error:). But you are right, you really don't need the cover at home, it just gets in the way of your awareness. Usually you will see the wet on the prefold before anything else or you gets wet, and with a little baby there isn't enough volume for the pee to go far anyway.

I loved the prefold belt for ease of use, as long as you don't mind the "loin-cloth" look... With warm weather we often just used that and a t-shirt. Chaps and a shirt when it was colder. Eventually we bought some ECA pants because they were cute and so easy and he'd grown out of the prefolds (they weren't long enough to stay tucked on a great big fat very mobile baby by about 8 or 9 mo).

Good luck!

"That's the way it is, if that's the way it seems to you."

"Cosi e se vi pare."

Luigi Pirandello

#3 of 8 Old 03-23-2013, 08:15 AM

We were in the same situation. We were given a snap stash so we just worked with it. I don't love the snaps but it's no big deal. We love our belts.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#4 of 8 Old 03-25-2013, 02:13 AM

I might be the minority but I love the snaps. Found them way better then the Velcro. Whenever I was taking off a Velcro cover the Velcro would get stuck to everything and drive me nuts. (DD usually wears a onesie and babylegs). At least I knew that once I unsnapped it would not resnap.
Having said that, while at home, prefolds with a lappad under is what we did. Worked well for us.
#5 of 8 Old 03-25-2013, 04:13 AM

My only issue with snaps was the number. I should have clarified. My partner likes to dress the boys in "normal clothes" when we go out and they're waterproof. So they have 4 snaps on the diaper cover, 3 snaps on the onesie, and sometimes 6 or more snaps on the overall legs. Times two babies. So I'm looking at a minimum of 14 snaps while rangling the brother in a public bathroom with a changing table built for one and neither boy is willing to lay on his back. I can apply Velcro while standing and snaps to an extent, but I have snap burn out. Considering that y guys are only waterproofed for a couple hours a day, I don't know how conventional diaperers do it.

All that said, my oldest was so wiggly that Velcro scratched his thighs until he could walk, so we made due.

#6 of 8 Old 03-30-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrabbitfly View Post

I loved the prefold belt for ease of use, as long as you don't mind the "loin-cloth" look...

I wanted to come back to this. The loin cloth look is not my favorite. While we do use our belt like that, we also do things like this:

These are from the front.

From behind.

#7 of 8 Old 03-30-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraf View Post

I wanted to come back to this. The loin cloth look is not my favorite. While we do use our belt like that, we also do things like this:

These are from the front.

From behind.

Seraf- you are so clever! This looks way better than the way we used it:)

"That's the way it is, if that's the way it seems to you."

"Cosi e se vi pare."

Luigi Pirandello

#8 of 8 Old 03-30-2013, 02:03 PM

Well, I started folding that way when the big guy went on a poop strike. Haha. Then I kept it because it looks nicer.

Tags
Elimination Communication

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page