12 m/o loves the potty but won't pee in it! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-31-2013, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We started part-time ECing/early potty learning just a couple of weeks ago when our daughter started telling us when she had to poop. (ASL is our primary language at home, so she has lots of communication for her age.)

Three days ago we started going diaper-free at home, using cotton training pants. She seems to be more aware in those than when she is naked. So far we have caught every single poop and all of her infrequency-of-pooping issues have gone away. She seems much more comfortable pooping on the potty than in a diaper! 

BUT in two weeks I haven't caught a single pee. The first two days she would tell me she had to pee, I'd sit behind her on the big potty and she would pee, beautiful! But now, not a drop.

She loves being on the potty, we are spending LOTS of happy time there. We've tried to reinforce her requests by bringing her to the potty every time she signs it, which is very very often right now. I can usually tell the difference between when she is just signing it to acknowledge it or when she actually has to go. But usually when she has to go, we'll go through 3 or 4 trips to the potty (under 5 minutes sitting, reading,playing, etc) then eventually she will pee on the floor within a couple minutes of getting off. Sometimes she'll tell us while she is peeing, sometimes right beforehand, and sometimes she'll just look really uncomfortable as it happens.

I feel like if I could just get a few catches in a row(ish) she'd get it, she obviously understands the basics of what is happening. Ideas to help make this happen?

• We cloth diaper and change her often to make sure she is used to being dry
  • we use the sign for potty plus a pssssss sound
  • if I see she is peeing on the floor I say "potty!" plus sign it then make the psss sound while I swoop her off to the toilet 
  • we keep it positive and happy, yet still matter-of-factly talk about how we go pee pee in the potty not in our diapers (bad idea?)
  • she is staying dry for several hours at a time and through most naps
  • we sit behind her on the toilet, she isn't a fan of her potties (ikea)

Tips? Ideas?

Thank you!!

Baking a cupcake at 98.6°. This little lady is due early March 2012.

***4***8***12***16****20***24***28***32*ecbaby.gif*36***40**

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 03-31-2013, 10:00 PM

I'm ECing/potty training my 13 month old. She does best when I pee at the same time but she has her own potty that she likes. I found she never peed when I held her or sat with her on the big potty, sometimes when I used her toilet seat reducer, and 80% of the time on her own potty. Of course since we were out of the house most of the day today, and only had 2 potty trips - no pees caught.

Turning on the faucet helps too.

Nuby makes an awesome toilet seat reducer that's small enough for a 3 month old but still fits at 12 months. Only $6 on Amazon!

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#3 of 6 Old 04-01-2013, 11:51 AM

Those are all great things to do. Is she walking? There's a pretty rough time between crawling and walking.

We have an 11 month old who could care less about peeing in the potty despite EC from birth. He just has other things on his agenda.

Good luck. All we are doing is waiting him out. We offer the potty at regular intervals and read a story or sing a song to keep him seated for a minute and then set him free again.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#4 of 6 Old 04-01-2013, 11:59 AM

Yep, we sing a song too. The Itsy Bitsy spider is our potty song. smile.gif

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#5 of 6 Old 04-01-2013, 01:08 PM

Haha, I sang that so much with #2 that she used to make the spider as a potty sign!

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#6 of 6 Old 04-01-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraf View Post

Haha, I sang that so much with #2 that she used to make the spider as a potty sign!

Cute!

Tags
Elimination Communication

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page