Is there a point to part-time EC? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-06-2013, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I tried this when he was still a newborn but I stopped because it was just making me twitchy and crazy ROTFLMAO.gif

He's now 12m and I can pretty much "make" him pee on queue by taking off his clothes and when he gets cold, he pees, but unless I do that, there is absolutely no way for me to tell when he's going to pee... he gives no signs at all! Sometimes he has just peed, and I let him run around the room naked and he'll just pee again without any warning!

Catching him pooping is also a lost cause... he makes no poop-signs whatsoever, the only way to tell is he starts crying after he's been still for a while and wants his diaper changed, but I can't just swoop down on him and take off his pants every time he stops moving! lol

Is there even a point to starting this again? or should I just stick with regular potty training?

#2 of 10 Old 04-06-2013, 07:53 PM

Yes!

If you catch a few pees a week (even just putting him on the potty when you're already changing him, or only in the morning, or at bath time) you get him used to using the potty. That lets you skip that process later.

#3 of 10 Old 04-06-2013, 10:03 PM

^ yes!
#4 of 10 Old 04-07-2013, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Remember the c = communication, not catches.  Some communication is better than none ... at the very least it keeps open the possibility for further communication down the road. 

no longer  or  or ... dd is going on 12 (!) how was I to know there was a homeschool going on?
#5 of 10 Old 04-07-2013, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

What potties do people normally use? I was thinking those soft seats that fit over a regular toilet, or are there ones that work better?

#6 of 10 Old 04-07-2013, 07:39 PM

I like potties, because as soon as they're mobile (which is coming soon), they can get themselves on the potty and sit for a while (maybe with a book). I like giving them that control. You still need to take them yourself most of the time, but ...

#7 of 10 Old 04-07-2013, 08:45 PM

I use the summer infant lil' potty.

It has a high back which helps support my baby (she's 15 weeks) which is nice. The splash guard in front is kind of low and sometimes she is able to pee over it so be aware of that. It's pretty sturdy and it was only $10 which is amazing. It's also super easy to clean. At first she was scared of I guess the noise it makes when she pees but now she's over it. Oh yeah and it kind of makes a hollow noise when she pees which lets me know she is peeing when I can't see it. 

http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Infant-Lil-Potty-White/dp/B00A0ID90A/ref=sr_1_5?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1365392408&sr=1-5

#8 of 10 Old 04-08-2013, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll try that! One of the reviews says the guard is too low for boys and the other says it isn't, so for $10 I'll give it a shot! :)

He's been walking for about 4 months now which is what I think makes it more difficult to tell when he has to pee... I can never tell if he's stopping to pee or just thinking or looking at something. 

#9 of 10 Old 04-08-2013, 07:15 AM

Try going coverless. I found out, when I started EC with our guy, that for whatever reason, the diaper cover completely killed any cues or signs he needed to go.

#10 of 10 Old 04-15-2013, 09:37 AM

If he is walking, you can also try letting him go standing up into a wide mouthed jar or yogurt container.  Lots of little boys love doing it 'like Daddy'.  

Tags
Elimination Communication

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page