Why underwear? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-08-2013, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, we've been ECing since DD was 3 weeks. She's now 16 weeks. We catch about 75% of time. I have her in cloth diapers (cover included) as back up always.
I have a couple of tiny pairs of underwear for her. I've been going back and forth about just putting her in those. Sometimes I think, "it's not broken so let me not try to fix it". But then I wonder if there is some great benefit to putting her in undies. So my question is, is there a benefit to undies and if so what?
#2 of 12 Old 04-08-2013, 08:12 PM

I find the benefits of undies for us is that their easier to get off and on, so for me, it makes me put more likely to put her on the potty.

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#3 of 12 Old 04-09-2013, 07:31 AM

Underwear is absolutely crucial for us. My son is 24 months, and has a few accidents here and there, but gets all too tempted to "piddle" on things if he's diaperless. I think he's fascinated by how the urine sits on certain surfaces, lol... So needless to say, he's much more inclined to have MORE accidents if he isn't wearing underwear or a diaper. If he's wearing either of those, he's much more likely to tell me in some way he has to go, and much more likely to sit on his potty.

#4 of 12 Old 04-09-2013, 03:32 PM

Undies are nice for speed.  Once they can stand assisted (3 or 4 months?) it's easier to plant their feet on the ground, pull down their pants and pull them back up than it is to lay them on their backs. My kids hated laying flat to be undiapered, so a quick pulling down of pants meant the difference between offering the potty to a happy kid or an angry one. Angry kids don't like to pee on the potty as much as happy kids.

We favor trainers over undies.

Once she is big enough to sit on your hip in the sling, you will feel a huge difference between carrying a kid in a cloth diaper versus a kid in undies. It changes your whole center of balance.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#5 of 12 Old 04-10-2013, 08:08 PM

Once my son started to crawl, it became tricky to change his diapers.  He would roll over and escape.  We were using some kind of prefolds with a cover.  Then we switched to prefolds with a diaper belt so that I wouldn't need to lay him down to change, but he was a skinny baby and a diaper belt didn't really stabilize prefolds...  When we switched to underpants, everything felt much easier!

Your daughter is so young, so you might not feel any difference in terms of changing them, but diapers are much bulkier than undies, right?  I believe it's better to have less layers in the crotch for physical development.  I think undies will give her more mobility.

www.tinyundiesny.com

cotton underpants for diaper-free babies 3 months and up

#6 of 12 Old 04-17-2013, 10:01 AM

Dd is 10 months a not happy with the diaper change position. I came across this on pinterest http://pinterest.com/pin/384987468116317619/ today. I think we will line with an insert. Any one doing this?

#7 of 12 Old 04-17-2013, 10:37 AM

We're doing this. We have gerber (not waterproof) iplay (waterproof crotch) and charlie banana training pants (waterproof), and sometimes slip an insert in for more absorbancy. (we use different ones depending on how much we care about puddles/wet trousers versus knowing the girls are damp/getting aired out). You need a pretty small insert to fit. (the training pants were $2, $5, and $10 a pair, respectively) We're using the grovia doublers, because they're really narrow. (and because they were sitting in the diaper box) But the charlie banana will hold a whole pee without the trousers getting wet (doublers are more important for naps for us)

#8 of 12 Old 04-17-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia Valek View Post

Dd is 10 months a not happy with the diaper change position. I came across this on pinterest http://pinterest.com/pin/384987468116317619/ today. I think we will line with an insert. Any one doing this?

I don't bother with waterproofing, but our boys have oodles of homemade trainers. Very simple 2 - 4 seam pants made from t-shirts and sweatshirts.

#9 of 12 Old 04-19-2013, 04:45 PM

Some kids are more likely to pee in a diaper since it is more absorbent. Some kids could care less!

Also for us, we used (expensive) ECApants, for diaper back up, so we could only afford a few of them. They were however, super easy to up/down for pottying.

We also used (cheap) (and ethically evil owned by Nestle) Gerber trainers (not waterproof), so we could afford to have a bunch of them, which eased the stress of using up all our dipes. When DS started walking these were also the easiest to use. But they are owned by evil Nestle, so I sort of hated buying them, but there was just not another option we could afford and I'm not crafty like Seraf:).  Later I did find JC penny has some similar trainers only a little pricier than Gerber, and if I knew of them sooner I would have avoided the Gerbers alltogether.

Good luck!

"That's the way it is, if that's the way it seems to you."

"Cosi e se vi pare."

Luigi Pirandello

#10 of 12 Old 04-19-2013, 05:57 PM

We got all out gerber trainers at the thrift store. They got no money from us.
flyrabbitfly likes this.

#11 of 12 Old 04-27-2013, 03:17 AM

I like the underwear for several reasons:

-It's so trim, would you rather wear regular underwear or a massive folded towel between your legs? lol

- Easy to see when they are wet to change right away

-Easy on/off for taking them to the toilet- In winter I could just pull the pants and underwear off all in one sweep. In summer I just let them wear only underwear at home.

-It's breathable, PUL is not. It's sooo clammy and uncomfortable.   

-Some babies will purposely wet when in a diaper as opposed to underwear. In my experience this happened with mine once they were older babies, so maybe yours is too little still for that. But it was as if they knew that diapers were put on at times when I couldn't potty them as easily (since they were our heavier back-up for times I knew we wouldn't be as easily able to get to a toilet fast) and they would just wet in them. Also because of having to constantly check for wetness, I was less able to change immediately. Which probably exacerbated them thinking diapers were for wetting. Whereas with the jocks you knew immediately they had wet without needing to check.

-There's just something so much nicer and more natural when they are in underwear. We used cloth as a back-up when out and we moved to absorbent training pants once big enough. But I still remember when my first DS was a tiny baby and the first day I ever took him out in nothing but regular underwear. I carried him in a sling and it was completely different. I felt so free. And I felt like he was free. Can't explain it, but it just felt so right. 

Just give it a try one day at home. It is awesome. 

#12 of 12 Old 04-30-2013, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

I've started putting her in underwear after the morning nap and keeping her in them until I have a miss. Sometimes it's an hour. Other times it's several. My way of easing into it.

Tags
Elimination Communication

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page