Lots of catches but no communication with 12 m old - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 04-11-2013, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been a devoted PT since my guy was born meaning he's diaper free at home during the day and wears them when we're out or when he's sleeping. Since day one, he's been consistent at peeing and pooing in the potty by me holding him over top in a squat and cuing psss. But he never ever lets me know when he has to go. If I don't give him a "pottytunity" he just goes on the floor (which is fine). With poos, he always makes this one gentle grunting noise and I usually catch them just in time. Now that he's 12 mths, I'm wondering what's next? When will he start telling me he has to go? Should I just relax and let things progress or is there something I should be doing? I dream of the day he tugs on my pants and says "psss" or goes over to the potty himself in an effort to use it. I'm afraid I'm just conditioning him to rely on mom to hold him over the pot at steady intervals throughout the day! Any suggestions or thoughts?

#2 of 2 Old 04-15-2013, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

When we were at 12 mos I was starting to get really antsy for something to change, but DS was way too interested in other things at the time.  He was very verbal about everything else so that was esp frustrating.  I would say just relax as much as you can.  They are constantly evolving at this age and one day he will start to take an interest in taking over the pottyduties.  For both my sister and I, and many others, that manifested not as a proper sign or communciation at first, but as sudden resistance to our offers, so keep an open mind when (if) that happens!   At that point (after some consternation) I stopped offering per se, and just would say, 'hey its been a long time since you peed - do you have to go?'.  He would say No! and I'd say OK, and a few minutes later he would declare he did need to go and we would run to the bathroom together (usually shouting and hooting).  The transfer of power began around 15-18 mos, and was complete by 22 or so.  Hang in there!  

Tags
Elimination Communication

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page