Started EC, but baby has lost her cues - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-13-2013, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We started on EC with our 8-week old 5 days ago, since she had for the last month given us consistent cues when she wanted to have a bowel movement.  We thought it would be easier with EC with her very clear grunts and facial expressions.  The first 3 days were pretty successful as she managed to go with my prompting her with "shhhh" and "hm mmm" at least once a day.  However, for the last 2 days, not only has she stopped giving us cues, she has started to poop in bed (which she had never done) and has resumed pooping during feeds. It's as though she has regressed and I'm not sure if starting her on EC had anything to do with it. Could she have been stressed out by my early attempts?  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2013, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

It could be many things. Most likely, it's teething and/or growth spurts - which both will throw their systems totally out of whack.

W/ my oldest, we learned of EC when he was about 8 weeks old and he pretty much stopped signalling right around then - it felt to me like he'd just given up trying to get us to "hear" him since his signals had been ignored for so long. He also started teething and had several growth spurts in a row at that time, so it really could have been anything. I didn't notice it with my 2nd babe, but EC was second nature to me by then.

EC isn't about doing anything TO a baby, aside from offering potty-tunities when you think they need to go. Continue offering, but keep something under her bum at all times to cut down on any stress you might feel. Try an open diaper or tiny potty under her when you're nursing so she can go easily. She's probably unlatching just a bit when she needs to go but it's likely to be VERY subtle so make it easy for both of you. She stays clean, you don't feel worried =)

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)

Tags
Elimination Communication
User Tag List