What kind of diaper bag do you recommend? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-14-2013, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello Mums and Dads,

I'm 6 months pregnant and preparing the things I'll need for EC with my son, he's my first baby.  I'll have cloth diapers with the waist scrunchie, I'll have pant free time and use leg warmers and split crotch pants.  The only thing I'm unsure about it the diaper bag.  Do I need a really big one to fit a potty in, in case there aren't any toilets nearby?  Do I bring the lap potty or a bucket?  What else do I need to put in the diaper bag?  Are there EC diaper bags available?

Thanks very much for your help with this xo.

#2 of 8 Old 08-14-2013, 07:21 PM

We never traveled with a potty except on long trips. We had a smallish messenger style diaper bag and it was sufficient for 2 babies for all day. We did use diaper covers away from home.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#3 of 8 Old 08-14-2013, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I used large-ish messenger bags with both my kids (4 yrs apart) I did keep the foldable potty (pottette that you hook plastic bags on) in the car and it rarely went in my bag. My favorite going out potty was a zippered wet bag w/ a cloth diaper at the bottom. Just needs to be large enough for the babe's bum to fit easily =)

We did use all-in-one dipes when going out and I didn't ever want to be stressed out about being caught short on anything, so I always brought more than I'd need.

Honestly, for the newborn stage, a small bag is usually sufficient until you've got a better idea of how much and what you like to have with you. You're not usually out for long periods at that stage and their clothes are so teeny, you should be fine waiting for a couple of months to feel it out before needing to have that perfect bag.

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#4 of 8 Old 08-14-2013, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, thanks very much for your replies.  So does that mean I don't need a diaper bag with a fold out change table?  It seems an EC diaper bag would be a bit different to a regular one as it would contain a potette or potty.   All the babies and toddlers I've seen having their diaper changed (non-EC) seem distressed to be on their backs.  Did you ever change a diaper with them upright? 

Thanks again, 

#5 of 8 Old 08-14-2013, 09:03 PM

Depending on the baby, you can switch to pull up style diapers/changing pants as soon as they can stand supported. For most of mine that was 3 months, but one was 6 months and didn't care about laying for diaper changes.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#6 of 8 Old 08-14-2013, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

changing for poo misses must be done lying on their backs. My boys didn't mind it at all but the main reason I started making side snap underpants when my oldest was about 6 mo old was so we could do stand up changes for wet pants, cause it's hard to get active babes to be still enough. I can't recall him pooing in his pants past the time he could crawl, but it's been nearly 13 years now, my memory might just be rosy =)

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#7 of 8 Old 08-29-2013, 02:06 PM

We never brought a potty with us, unless going on a long road trip. I hated carrying a lot of stuff, so I would use a backpack or small bag and have a plastic grocery bag in it. That way if I ever had to potty him outside, I could place the bag under his bum while doing the classic EC hold in case he had any poo accidentally come out. So it would just catch that. But usually we would just use a bathroom like anyone else!

EC so easy with ecaPants!! ~the flip down, drop front, little learning pants

Check out FB for updates, 'seconds' sales, deal announcements, etc smile.gif

#8 of 8 Old 09-07-2013, 07:32 PM

Just have to add a second opinion. I see a few posters saying they never bring potties. I almost always bring a potty. I find it very useful for places like the park where there is no bathroom nearby. Also for a while when my dd was younger she didn't want to use the toilet but was too old for the sink so we would set the potty on the changing table in public restrooms. When she was really little we used a nova natural chamber pot. I bet a top hat potty would be nice and portable though. Later we started bringing the bblp. I have a backpack that fits it perfectly. I think a potette with the reusable silicone inserts is ideal though. A friend of mine uses that system and it fits well in her ergo diaper bag backpack. It's important to consider how your bag will feel while babywearing.

As far as upright diaper changes, for just pee or with dry diaper potty trys I did that really early on. I often found myself needing to offer in public restrooms with no changing table or just thinking public changing tables are gross and germy and as early as 3 weeks old, I would put her up on my shoulder in "burping position", remove diaper, put it in my back pocket or on the edge of the sink, potty her in sink, diaper back on in same "burping" position. For this approach I really liked side snapping diapers with a sewn in soaker because they were the easiest and simplest. That remained true ( except when she was in pull up cloth trainers) when she was old enough for standing diaper changes.

Tags
Elimination Communication , Zosephine Diaper Bag , Sherpani Diaper Bag , Lassig Messenger Bag Diaper Bag , Diaper Dude Mini Diaper Bag , Fleurville Mothership Diaper Bag , Dwellstudio Madison Diaper Bag , Storksak Claire Diaper Bag , Kemby Sidekick Diaper Bag , Kalencom Eleanor Diaper Bag

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page