Please offer some feedback on new EC blog? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-21-2013, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Mothering friends,

We started a blog about our EC practice and would love feedback before we start sharing it widely.  I know we need to put up more photos...we're getting there!  Have some good ones that just need to get off the camera or saved as web files.  Otherwise, what else?  What questions do you think we should address, for example?

Thank you in advance!  It's so nice to have this little online group to share with!!

Here is the web address:

www.babysdailywork.blogspot.com

-Stephanie
#2 of 5 Old 08-22-2013, 07:22 AM

Hopefully Bumping this up will get you suggestions. I, for one, could appreciate something on how to begin EC with an older baby, mine is 10 months and his diapers are always causing him rashes. While I could just cloth diapering, the upfront expense is too much for us rather than 20 dollars here and 20 dollars there even though disposables are more expensive in the end, for us its about the upfront costs so I'd like to try EC with my son if its not too late. 

bfinfant.gifbreastfeedingfemalesling.GIF baby-wearing familybed1.gif bed-sharing greenthumb.gif herb growing/using nocirc.gif no circ'ing  lady.gif Mama 

bikenew.gif6-25-2006goodvibes.gif11.29.2008dust.gif7-6-2010babyf.gif10-3-2012 belly.gifcraving #5 ALREADY 

#3 of 5 Old 09-03-2013, 03:16 PM

I have an 8month old... Is it to late to start EC i just heard of it today. . . Still a bit fuzzy on the details. Also. New here still finding my way around. :-)
#4 of 5 Old 09-05-2013, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Hi you two!  Both of you are interested in more information about beginning EC later. 

I have read a lot about elimination communication at this point, and I've talked to quite a few people who are involved in it with their kids or who have older kids with whom they communicated in this way.  What has struck me is that EC is practiced in diverse ways to suit the people involved, including at what age to begin.  While I have read in a few places that there is an age at which point EC doesn't seem to make sense (the age varies depending on source), I've also read otherwise, and I've talked with people locally here that began it with 6 month olds and older and had great success as a family.  So my point is that what people actually do and what books/blogs/websites may describe do not always match.  Yet, we are all diverse families and find our way, and those books/blogs/websites still help a lot.

That said, what I have read about starting EC with older babies as a possibility goes something like this:

• Give your child opportunities to use a potty / bowl (whatever makes sense with your child's temperament, weight, etc.) during those very predictable times like upon waking from a nap or night sleep, perhaps, or if you have some time you are sure your child frequently goes (you know your child).  
  • Also, try some set and lower stress times of the day when your child can cruise around without a bottom cover.  Get to know your child's behaviors, cues, and elimination patterns during those times when it will be immediately apparent what is happening.  When your child eliminates, try using a sound cue (psss psss psss, for example, for pees) while it is happening.  I also observe and make comments like, "You are peeing in the potty." in order to build our language around what is happening.  
  • If you're using wicking cloth or disposables, switch to something that gives more immediate feedback to both you and to  your child, so you both can be more aware of and responsive to elimination.

Lastly, no matter at what age you are ready to begin EC, I'd say you have something in common with every other family focused on building your communication skills together with your children: the process of working out a trusting, respectful, responsive relationship that helps each achieve our developmental goals is more important than the little details of whether some pants got wet today, whether she used the potty that time and not this time, whether we forgot to use our cue or whether he ever will, etc....  The daily work isn't unimportant, of course, but the underpinning of this process is communication, respect, love.  

#5 of 5 Old 09-07-2013, 05:35 AM

Hi Stephanie,

I really enjoyed the post about the variety of new breastfeeding positions!  Something for me to look forward to.  :) I'll just put on my marketing cap for a moment and offer a few comments on the blog, with the idea in mind that you want to attract a larger audience:

- Yes, more photos!  To illustrate what you're writing about.  And be sure to describe what's happening in each photo.

- Bullet points and/or use of bold typeface are useful to help people skim for main points.

- If you link to other articles or blogs, let your readers know what YOUR thoughts on the topic, and in some way summarize the linked article.

- In the "About" section of the blog, offer why you chose the title "Our Daily Work."

Best wishes to you...

Tags
Elimination Communication

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page