Is 20 months too late to start? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-07-2013, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter is showing no signs of being ready to potty train, but I think I need to do something. She's got some food allergies (I still haven't figured them all out), and because she poops so much (sometimes 8 times a day), she gets rashes often. And then she cries when I change her diaper, and I just feel terrible. I'd love some advice on how to get started, what to read, or where to turn. Or is it just too late at this point?

Happily married to my soul mate, and a mommy of two girls + another baby due in June!

5****10****15****20****25****30****35**stillheart.gif*40

#2 of 5 Old 10-08-2013, 09:09 PM

There are questions about whether at this age it would be considered EC or early potty training. That said, names don't matter.

At 20 months, I would get a potty and start having some naked time during the day.  The naked time will help with the diaper rashes, even with nothing else. (naked in the sun would be better for the rashes, but this isn't really the time of year). Or with shortish dresses (warmth on top, but easy to pee or poop). You can also get leg warmers or long socks for more warmth.

But I think that's probably the place to start: naked time, some observation, a potty to play with, maybe a time that you just put her on the potty (first thing in the morning? after nap? before bath?)

And as you experiment, you can see if you generate some interest. Or just help heal some rashes. If it feels like a fight, or is too much for you, you can back off and try again later. (but also, I found that with my kids it was fine to have a few hours, and then when I got tired of cleaning up messes, to go back to diapers for the day).

I liked "diaper free before 3" as a book to read about such things.

#3 of 5 Old 10-09-2013, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

I was wondering how the diaper free thing would work, but we have hard wood floors, so I guess that makes it easy. Out of curiosity, how long can she go in-between peeing?

Happily married to my soul mate, and a mommy of two girls + another baby due in June!

#4 of 5 Old 10-09-2013, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

And I just downloaded the book. Thanks for the recommendation!

#5 of 5 Old 10-09-2013, 08:15 PM

Hardwood floors make it so so so much less stressful.

Mine go somewhere between 20 minutes and 4 hours between peeing. When I'm timing it, an hour and a half is usually the gap I aim for. And if they pee on the floor, I try to get them to then sit (because sometimes they haven't finished peeing). But I also try to cajole (let's sit at the potty and read a book; let's go potty, and then you can wash your hands! (oh no, you can't wash your hands; you didn't sit on the potty); if you sit on the potty we can sing the silly potty song) rather than let it be a fight. Because I would rather have diapers than a power struggle. Potty training is about listening to and taking care of your body, not about fighting with the grown ups.

Tags
Elimination Communication

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page