Newborn daughter ... getting started tips? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-26-2013, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oddly, I am feeling clueless on how to get started ECing with our 2 week old daughter. We ECed our older son from age 8 weeks onward but beginning at a different time of year when it wasn't so cool. Our home is an unheated colonial construction in high altitude Mexico -and pretty cool many hours out of the day. I am babywearing and cosleeping with her, starting to sense her cues ... Now I just need to figure out clothing adjustments ... Babylegs? what other clothing options should I consider? also should I potty in arms over a cup or just a cloth diaper? with our son, it seemed more of a sitting squat over a towel or bucket, but she seems so much smaller at two weeks than he was at 8 (obviously, lol).
#2 of 6 Old 11-26-2013, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Saw the "half-assed"post from March right after starting this thread and realized I was using the "clothes" as a stall for not starting ECing with baby already. Promptly, picked a plastic catch-pot, took off her pants and diaper and we've had five "catches" this afternoon. Feel a bit guilty that I've waited until now to get going.
#3 of 6 Old 11-26-2013, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I only briefly tried EC with my now 14 year old daughter, and I held her in arms over the sink.  But I didn't start until she was already 4 months old, and I believe it's easier to pick up the cues when you start right away, because I never felt like I understood her cues.  And now it sounds like you are having success.  Best ECing wishes to you!

#4 of 6 Old 11-29-2013, 07:47 AM

I EC'd in the winter with my DS in a chilly house too. I liked babylegs and used them a lot, however sometime the exposed upper thigh seemed a bit too chilly. I used split crotch pants for those really cold days. You can buy super cute pairs, or even make them yourself. If you don't' sew you can even just cut along the seam of some pants you don't love. I often put the trainer, drop flap trainer, or diaper on top of the split pants. At home I also often used baby leg warmers with a nightgown on him so his legs stayed warm. 

EC so easy with ecaPants!! ~the flip down, drop front, little learning pants

Check out FB for updates, 'seconds' sales, deal announcements, etc smile.gif

#5 of 6 Old 11-29-2013, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

hi
Quote:
Originally Posted by riboflavin View Post

I EC'd in the winter with my DS in a chilly house too. I liked babylegs and used them a lot, however sometime the exposed upper thigh seemed a bit too chilly. I used split crotch pants for those really cold days. You can buy super cute pairs, or even make them yourself. If you don't' sew you can even just cut along the seam of some pants you don't love. I often put the trainer, drop flap trainer, or diaper on top of the split pants. At home I also often used baby leg warmers with a nightgown on him so his legs stayed warm. 
hi and thank you for that link. some split pants sound ideal!
#6 of 6 Old 11-30-2013, 02:46 PM

I'm in Mexico too, in Morelos! Bienvenida!

My daughter is now 6 months old and we started when she was 2 days old. I would say don't get discouraged by crying. A lot of newborns cry when they eliminate, and I found that my daughter would always cry when I changed her diaper anyway, so I eventually just decided that at least with EC I could keep her in a dry diaper longer and avoid diaper rash. Her first "social" smile was right after an EC pee, so I think she was ok with it even when she was tiny. Cute!

As for staying warm, I like to use fleece because it's water resistant. Get some two piece outfits or cut off the bottom of onesies to increase your t-shirt collection.

Tags
Elimination Communication

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page