Potty suggestions for 8 month old? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-06-2013, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

We're going to start doing EC/early potty training when school ends (a little over a week) and are getting material together to get ready. I know a lot of people will catch it in pots/etc, and I plan on having a few around in the hopes of catching misses, but with a baby who can sit up on his own I think he's ready for a potty chair.

Babies R Us has a coupon for Disney potties, but I don't know if they're necessarily good. I've heard really good things about the BabyBjorn.

Does anyone have any BTDT suggestions on a good potty seat for a baby or what to look for in them? It's for a little boy, although I don't know if this makes a big difference or not.

Thanks!

familybed1.gif homebirth.jpgnocirc.gifmalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif 

Proud Formula Feeder, I support how ALL parents feed their babies. Breast or bottle, formula or breastmilk, and any combination thereof.

Happily married since 4/30/2009  Our first was born 4/23/2013

#2 of 8 Old 12-08-2013, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We liked the Baby Bjorn potties (the little potty, which you can't get anymore, and the smart potty, which is similar). We also really liked the pottette plus (you can get a rubber inner liner to use it like the little potty, but it's also portable (folds up), which is awesome)

#3 of 8 Old 12-10-2013, 06:55 AM

Seconding the baby bjorn! I would also invest in a cover for the potty.

sillysapling likes this.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#4 of 8 Old 12-10-2013, 07:07 AM

We like and still use (17.5 mo. old ds) our 2 Baby Bjorns--1 in each bathroom. BTW, I feel like EC is *totally* worth the time & effort. DS rarely has a BM in his diapers and it is so wonderful compared with the kids I babysit! (3 littles in diff. families, all about 2.5 yrs old; all full time diaper users still...)
#5 of 8 Old 12-10-2013, 07:15 AM

Oh, we also have a baby bjorn toilet seat reducer which has been handy @ hotels where space was an issue for the potty. I felt like using the BB one was perhaps a similar shape/feeling for him, and he's done well with it.

Fwiw, he can also use a regular public toilet now if we need to. We only EC part time: all BMs (he signs 'toilet' and gets a certain concentrated look!), at every diaper change, before & after sleeping, sometimes he's in undies around the house...

Enjoy the catches, don't stress about the misses! And help him 'point down' of course! smile.gif
#6 of 8 Old 12-10-2013, 10:52 AM

Also, any amount of potty use is useful. Don't stress about having times and places where you continue to use diapers.

#7 of 8 Old 12-12-2013, 09:55 PM

Wow, that's way expensive!  I guess I'm used to used prices.

I highly recommend getting a BBLP on Craigslist, at a big consignment sale or on eBay if you have to (it's discontinued).  Also decent choices for EC IME (I'm obsessed with little potties, LOL, since I don't use enough cloth diapers to obsess over them!)...

-Becopotty:  http://www.amazon.com/BecoThings-BecoPotty-Biodegradable-Potty-Pink/dp/B00CXZA9WO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1386913939&sr=8-4&keywords=becopotty

-Ikea makes a potty, a little big for our 9-m-o, but she can use it.  Super-cheap.

-If you find a Bebe Jou, those are also a decent size.

-The Potette Plus, as mentioned, which also converts to go on top of a regular toilet.

-I like the Bemis hidden seat for home...

http://www.amazon.com/Bemis-583SLOW-White-Potty-Closing/dp/B005CAD3AC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386914037&sr=8-1&keywords=bemis+reducer

-Or the Baby Bjorn seat reducer--

http://www.amazon.com/BABYBJORN-Toilet-Trainer-White-Black/dp/B0009PAN7Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386914071&sr=8-1&keywords=baby+bjorn+potty+reducer

sillysapling likes this.

WAHer & Wannabe, Wife to DH banana.gif1998, Mama to Buko, Born at Home joy.gifMarch 2013

#8 of 8 Old 12-15-2013, 03:12 PM

We used the beco potty from 9 months on and love it. I'm not sure how much it was...$30.00 maybe? The cool thing is it decomposes in the ground after being buried for like 5 years.
sillysapling likes this.

Tags
Elimination Communication

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page