Tips on going from occasional to full time ECing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-30-2013, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all, I did occasional ECing with my first from four months on and found it was great. He quickly started pooping exclusively in his potty and we'd catch a pee most days. By occasional I mean potty time at every diaper change and eventually lots of naked time.
My second is now seven months old and has been spending time on his potty since he's been 3 1/2 months old. He caught on quickly and poops almost exclusively in his potty. We catch pees at most diaper changes. He's been dry when I go to change his diaper on quite a few occasions. He's also got sensitive skin and a diaper rash from wetness that just seems to linger. So I'm wondering if I should make the leap to full time, for day time hours at least. He's likely going to start crawling very soon as he's starting to go a few feet sometimes. I'm wondering if his newfound mobility will make this transition easier or tougher.
Any advice? I haven't noticed any signs for when he needs to pee so far.
Thanks!

married to DH, mother to two amazing little boys born May 18/2010 and May 20/2013!

Infertility has been part of this journey - no more littles for us, but so grateful we have two happy healthy boys and we can now begin to heal from that experience

#2 of 3 Old 01-01-2014, 11:03 PM

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
I have no advice really but go on what your gut tells you to do. I say go ahead and make it full time and maybe you will start to see those signs on when he has to pee!
Best!
#3 of 3 Old 01-10-2014, 07:35 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

Whether mobility makes it easier or tougher depends on the baby. Some babies will start crawling over to the potty and hit it or call for you to make it clear they need to go. Some babies will refuse to sit still now that they're able to move. For some babies, it makes absolutely no difference (it made no difference for us). Walking can be more helpful- you can teach your baby to go over to and sit on the potty without your help, starting the progression to complete potty independence.

You can try to go full time and, if it just doesn't work, go back to part time. I think it's worth a try, especially with diaper rash- getting naked time will probably help that a lot.

Tags
Elimination Communication

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page