Advice on how to proceed? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-11-2014, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

We've been doing part-time EC for the past 3 weeks or so with our 8 mo and have been having success, but I'm not really sure how to progress. We have two different problems: pees and poos, and advice on either is greatly appreciated.

Pees: We catch roughly 3 a day after waking up, he goes as soon as he sits down and doesn't even need prompting anymore, but can't figure out any other timing or signals. I've been paying much closer attention to whether the diaper is wet or dry to try to identify timing but haven't noticed a pattern or signal. We offer the potty during diaper changes, we try to offer it before leaving and after getting back from trips, etc. When we leave the diaper off, there are no signals that we can discern. I thought kiddo was bouncing as a signal- as soon as I noticed it, the bouncing stopped. grrr. I've bought EC Simplified and read through the signals and advice there, no luck.

We say "go potty" while taking kiddo to the potty and while on it, and use the sign for potty- but he's not using any signs yet. Does anyone have any advice on how to encourage a baby to signal?

Poos: Our baby has a bad history with constipation. It's not as bad now as it used to, he usually has a BM at least every other day, sometimes one a day and occasionally more.  The problem is this: I'm really hesitant to put him on the potty once he starts grunting and pushing because I don't want him to stop going and make his constipation worse and I know some babies will stop pushing once put on the potty. He won't go on his own, we've had a few times that he grabbed to get off the potty, then immediately started grunting and pooed soon after, so he clearly doesn't associate the potty with pooing even when the timing's right. Does anyone have advice on how to get him to poo on the potty?

familybed1.gif homebirth.jpgnocirc.gifmalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif 

Proud Formula Feeder, I support how ALL parents feed their babies. Breast or bottle, formula or breastmilk, and any combination thereof.

Happily married since 4/30/2009  Our first was born 4/23/2013

#2 of 4 Old 01-16-2014, 05:48 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

Bumping up for input. Any ECers with some advice to offer?

#3 of 4 Old 01-16-2014, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I find my babies signal best in a carrier (fussing, arching their backs).

What kind of diaper are you using? I use a prefold with no cover around the house to help me keep track of peeing frequency and signals.

Have you tried reading books on the potty? I find my babies once mobile have difficulty sitting there without a story or toy.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#4 of 4 Old 01-16-2014, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

We're using disposables, as baby soaks through all the  cloth diapers we've tried, even with the cover it's a big mess. :( We've tried more absorbent material, but there's only so much we can afford to try. I know that disposables cost more overall, but bamboo and hemp and such is a LOT of money for something we don't know will work, especially when you include shipping costs, etc because there aren't any stores nearby that sell them.

We keep track of his diaper and can tell relatively quickly when he's wet, there just isn't any pattern to it that we've found. No X amount of time since feedings or usually at X hour or whatever. He also doesn't seem to signal in the carrier much- when he starts fussing, it's usually because I'm standing still too long. We do try, but putting him on the potty when he doesn't have to go just annoys him. I also don't want to overuse babywearing, because he's crawling and learning how to walk, so I want him to have as much time to practice that as he wants.

We have the same problems at night, he'll start fussing and sometimes it's because he has to go potty- but if it's not, he starts screaming when he's put on it and it gets harder to get him to settle back down. If it is and we don't put him on the potty in time, he starts screaming when he wets the diaper (yes, even with disposables). We've managed to make one night catch since that started a few nights ago.

He's fine sitting on the potty when he has to go. He'll sit, do his business, then get off. But if he doesn't have to go, no amount of distractions will work anymore. He used to be fine sitting there while we read a book as long as he had a toy, we could probably get him to stay up to 10 minutes, but since he's figured out "potty is for peeing", if he doesn't have to pee, he won't sit on it. It's just figuring out when he has to pee we're having trouble with. :(

Thank you for the suggestions!

familybed1.gif homebirth.jpgnocirc.gifmalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif 

Proud Formula Feeder, I support how ALL parents feed their babies. Breast or bottle, formula or breastmilk, and any combination thereof.

Happily married since 4/30/2009  Our first was born 4/23/2013

Tags
Elimination Communication

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page